F1 track limits

Terry Everall

Martin Brundle interviewed Charlie Whiting before the race and asked him directly about this. The answer was that the drivers were not gaining an advantage by having all four wheels off the track at a specific corner so it was okay. The drivers were going over astroturf and a rumblestrip which he argued was slower (less grip) than if the driver had stayed on the track.

I don't buy it. The drivers would not repeatedly do it if it was slower. There may be less grip but the drivers can carry more speed through the corner and improve their exit.

Indeed, good observation!

I can't see where the issue is as long as a driver doesn't leave the track to cut a corner in order to overtake. Of course if it's judged to be dangerous then it must be penalised.

There's far too many rules as it is, so as long as no advantage (ie no overtake) then whats the problem.

A line of Police stingers should do the trick!

• Like 1

if they were meant to take that line the blumin track would go that way. as said before stick something heavy (not me) on the other side of the line or give time penalties.

It's either on the track or it isn't. Curbs etc are used because they've allowed them to. Any advantage no matter how tiny will get exploited.

Personally, I'd change all the curbs to the one way tyre shredders like Silverstone, you ride them too far and that's it, your tyres are gone. If you run wide accidentally, your only option is to go all the way off and rejoin safely beyond the bend/curb. Having been forced to slow in the mean time.

• Like 1

Yep Dave, I'll go with that, or the return of gravel traps that are increasing in slope so the cars don't skate over them. No need for a stewards enquiry that way, if you break the rules, you get caught immediately.

as a club racer, this topic is always popular around the padock. We get the book thrown at us for white line infringement, yet F1 and BTCC just seem to get away with it scot free

F1 and BTCC are the bane of marshals lives too; the mighty god of TV constantly tries to insist on getting what it wants, rather than what should happen.

Problem with nothing seen to happen in BTCC and F1 is that the new drivers coming through think its acceptable to drive like that in club racing.

Next year supposedly its no wheels over the white lines...who makes the call regarding being pushed wide, avoiding an accident etc.

In the "Good Old days" if you went off track with 4 wheels it was pretty certain you would be on collision course with either a tree or a lamp post or a brick wall etc.