F1 track limits

Terry Everall

Seen a bit of qualifying and race

The white lines issue is making a bit of a joke of what is on and off the track

Even when sprinting if we put all 4 wheels outside the white lines its considered a failure and no time is allowed

IMHO its not whether you gain an advantage its should just be the rules

Interestingly some of the Sprint Clubs apply the same rule of 4 wheels off is NOT a failed run as long as no advantage gained.

The rules are the same for everyone at each meet, I don't see a problem.

Blyton was all 4 off -no time

Any wheel off through finish was - no time

Llandow seems to depend on who sees it

Recently I watched the BTCC from Knockhill where not a single car didn't have all 4 wheels off the track at the chicane yet in sprinting at the same venue its a no time recorded.

My personal view is if you don't keep to the confines of the circuit you get penalised, end of!!!

Yes, but it needed to be Terry,

If you look at Combe regs, there is nothing about 4 wheels off.

At least the MSA are clearing things up for next year to try and put an end to all the corner cutting in racing.

14.4.25 Drivers must use the track at all times and may not leave the track without justifiable reason. For the avoidance of doubt:

a) The white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track.

b) A driver will be judged to have left the track if any wheel of the car either goes beyond the outer edge of the kerb or goes beyond the white line where there is no kerb.

14.4.3 Should a car leave the track for any reason and without prejudice of 14.4.4 the driver may re-join. However this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any advantage.

This just shows how local restrictions are sometimes required due to the geography of individual tracks. In Blytons case, the narrow run to the finish means running even slightly wide could wipe out the timing gear.

Trouble is it causes dispute about whether you are over a line, on it, or not over the line

There are vids on Youtube and other clips where the judges of fact miss some cars and see others

Pembrey & Llandow corner cutting outside the lines is away from any timing stuff and the judge of fact at Blyton finish is on the inside of the corner ratherthan the outside where the view of the finish would be better but they cant stand there.

In Blytons case it would be fairer to put a small cone there on outside of track on the line at the finish and if people dislodge it its obvious.

Trouble is it causes dispute about whether you are over a line, on it, or not over the line

There are vids on Youtube and other clips where the judges of fact miss some cars and see others

Pembrey & Llandow corner cutting outside the lines is away from any timing stuff and the judge of fact at Blyton finish is on the inside of the corner ratherthan the outside where the view of the finish would be better but they cant stand there.

In Blytons case it would be fairer to put a small cone there on outside of track on the line at the finish and if people dislodge it its obvious.

Blyton is a difficult one Terry and the organisers of the event will discuss it before next year's event. It would actually be easier to have the finish before that last corner. But I don;t think it makes such a good event. This year there were a lot less problems than 2012, apart from your bro Steve, who I think was the only one who made a significant protest. It would be easier if the circuit owner Richard would put some big curbs on the exit, such that no-one would wish to go over them.

Agreed Nick and I don't have an issue with Blyton as the last corner is great

The little cone might help though

Agreed Nick and I don't have an issue with Blyton as the last corner is great

The little cone might help though

I hate little cones, you spend too much time putting them back and thus delaying the event. Nice big heavy straw bale, you know the 1 ton ones that stop a westfield dead :d :D  no liberties get taken with them :d

Only Kidding

Nick

Your idea of an outside rumble strip thats a high profile sounds the best idea or anything that remove the human evaluation of judgement would help. The rules say that the "the judge of fact" decision is final so unless you have easy to download video evidence its a bit futile protesting. I think the F1 circus must find it hard to judge where a cars wheels are at 150mph + so India GP was easy for them

Martin Brundle interviewed Charlie Whiting before the race and asked him directly about this. The answer was that the drivers were not gaining an advantage by having all four wheels off the track at a specific corner so it was okay. The drivers were going over astroturf and a rumblestrip which he argued was slower (less grip) than if the driver had stayed on the track.

I don't buy it. The drivers would not repeatedly do it if it was slower. There may be less grip but the drivers can carry more speed through the corner and improve their exit.

• Like 1

Billypee is spot on!!!