tux's

dombanks

so I've ended up voluntarily going to an event where i have to wear a tux. its a black tie thingy so i have no choice.

should you go for a black bow tie and black cumberbund or a different colour like silver? and should the two match?

Back in the 60s I wore a black velvet suit, dress shirt with a black tie.

You could start the fashion again, it's about time.

just dont go think of your dignity

I've had to do a couple of lack tie dinners now for work (not really my thing though TBH)

My normal dress at these events is to wear a black single breasted suit and a good quality winged collar dress shirt, never worried about a cumberbund. Come the end of the evening the jacket is normally on the back of a chair so it matters not that it isn't the correct jacket.

Most of the people at the events i attend likewise do similar to myself. Unless it is a "proper posh" doo then only a few people will ever be wearing a full DJ with all the correct trimmings and they stick out like a sore thumb amongst the crowd :oops:

Full regalia every time, teach yourself how to tie a nice black bowtie and do it properly :d

• Like 1

I bought my dinner suit many years ago and I have to admit,I rather like getting dressed up in it. I've got a selection of cummerbunds and matching ties for different occasions. For formal events I might do tartan or a nice maroon, for charity events I have some brighter, funkier colours! I quite like the sense of occasion in the whole thing.

Back in the 60s I wore a black velvet suit, dress shirt with a black tie.

You could start the fashion again, it's about time.

Like this?  :oops:

318_general.jpg

Two things required:

A proper, hand-tied, bow tie.

And a mankini.

Everyone will remember you.

Like this?  :oops:

318_general.jpg

No, BLACK, not blue :)

its nowt new ,he turned up at my workshop dressed like that

I've been to a few black tie events, latest being the Skyfall premier (red carpet) and I go to a second hand shop and buy something that matches the event!

For that I had a 1920's dinner jacket, 1930's trousers, 1960's shirt and a bow tie. All worked very well and I had a few comments. A ton of people had virtually the same thing on and three people I chatted to had been to the same hire company! Main thing is a good fit and good hand made Italian shoes... Saves me every time.

I've got issues with photobucket at the moment, else I'd get pictures up. Bear Grills had an interesting take on it!

In the UK we wear dinner Suits, it is only the Americans who wear a Tuxedo. A dinner suit should be black, well cut and worn with a black bow tie. I have no issue with clip on's but the purist do. Depending upon how formal a cummerbund can be worn.

If not wearing one make sure that the dinner shirt has not got a panel or decrotive front which is short. These are designed to be worn with a cummerbund.

If you are unlikely to wear one again, charity shops are good but you can get cheap ones from Matalan which are cheaper to buy than rental and look okay.

I had an invitation to a black tie event recently - the first since the seventies! Not having a dinner suit I trawled the 'net to find out what's the current fashion and protocol, and then the charity shops to find the clobber. Go to a wealthy area and they're thick on the ground!

Essentially what I concluded was that wing collars are for white tie and fold-down for black (although lots of people do use wing collars with black ties). Cummerbunds are not often used now and never with a double breasted suit, and frilly shirts are passé with pleated being the current norm - with double cuffs and plain cufflinks. A 'proper' tied bow is preferable but most use pre-tied ones. The jacket should always be black and not white, and the lapel satin and the trouser seam stripes must match. Black Oxford shoes are best. No Simpsons socks!

In the manner of 'I am not a lawyer', I am not a socialite - more of a recluse actually - so my conclusions may well be totally wrong!

As a rule only large blokes wear cummerbunds as the life of a DJ is about 10 years and after 5 they are unable to do up the jacket or trousers. :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

• Like 1