PC Registry Cleaners

Buzz Billsberry

My PC is running as slow as British Leyland production liner worker so I'm looking for some advice on the above> preferably free ones like CCleaner.Any advice and recommendations would be great. I don't mind payee if they are pretty good

Cheers

Buzz

Do the job properly. Back up your personal data and re-install OS and apps and then restore data

• Like 1

I also agree with John although it's likely to take ages. CCleaner isn't a bad compromise

These cleaners often do very little despite what you might think , a re enstall will give the best possible result

I would just check you haven't got some kind of 'malware' first.  Often hidden as iexplore.exe tasks they can kill you computer - and obviously compromise your security.

Also rather than re-install (sledgehammer) why not just uninstall all the ****e you don't use??  Then see how it goes.

Mike

one thing that cripples speed is lack of hd space. as above , ditch the crap and run ccleaner as a start. i agree re malware too.

As above, reinstalling the OS will definitely work at speeding up your computer but also at grinding your personal life to a total halt for a solid 1-2 days while you reinstall the OS and all your software and files - assuming you have kept the product activation codes and discs for all of them as well, and backed up all your documents, photos, music, videos, etc. so you can put them back.

I'm betting there's a load of stuff running in the background and that the task bar on the lower right takes up 1/3rd of the screen.  Seems like every time there's a software update, it comes complete with automatically running in the background at start-up.  Apple are awful at this, tons of stuff if you have iTunes running behind the scenes that eats memory and slows stuff down.

I've had good luck with Glary Utilities and their Start-Up Manager, worth a try to shut off background programs that don't need to sit there on standby.  Give it a go.

If you delete any programs, do them one at a time only and do a hard reboot each time after each one has been deleted.

When you build your PC make a volume with all your data on it and a smaller partition for the OS and any applications that are not "stand alone"

( eg Office) . A rebuild is only then a couple of hours watching the screen and no need to reinstate your data .

Better still make a backup of the OS partition then reinstalling is a breeze .