V8 Wanted?

harrypotter

I hope this thread isn't too repetitive regarding the, 'which car is best' scenario.

I'm looking to the future and wondering which car to have next.

My car kit car history is as follows. I started with a Dutton,then a westfield with a crossflow engine. In a search for power I went for a Dax Rush cossie turbo. Next an MNR with a Hayabusa  engine. Presently a single seat bec road car and a single seat race car (yet to race it!).

I've always hankered for a powerful (220bhp min) V8 Westy but I'm not sure how disappointed I will be after having my other lightweight cars. I'm ready for a more civilised road car but would want to track it occasionally. I've never been in a V8 but do love the sound! Or should I go for a duratec with some serious power.

Any thoughts?

Hi Harry,

Sounds like you've had some tasty cars in the past and your not a stranger to some serious rear wheel drive cars.

Not heard civilised and Westfield in the same sentence for a while :d but a v8 would certainly be very close to it.

I have a VX (Sprint) Westfield and a V8 (Road) Westy and the V8 is such a lovely car to drive, it still makes me smile although it's nowhere near as fast or a nimble at the VX.

The sound on the V8 is awesome and driveability it fantastic with all that available torque and track days are well within it's scope.

You really need to take a ride in one before you decide but my vote goes for the V8 everytime.

Tiggs

• Like 1

buy mine :d

Harry, you sound like a serial Petrolhead to me, Top Man.       Stick a requested in the Cars Wanted section.

Hi Harry,

Sounds like you've had some tasty cars in the past and your not a stranger to some serious rear wheel drive cars.

Not heard civilised and Westfield in the same sentence for a while :d but a v8 would certainly be very close to it.

I have a VX (Sprint) Westfield and a V8 (Road) Westy and the V8 is such a lovely car to drive, it still makes me smile although it's nowhere near as fast or a nimble at the VX.

The sound on the V8 is awesome and driveability it fantastic with all that available torque and track days are well within it's scope.

You really need to take a ride in one before you decide but my vote goes for the V8 everytime.

Tiggs

Very interesting to hear from someone who has both a sprint westfield and a road V8 westy. Thanks Tigger, just the info I was looking for.

I'm sure you are right about getting a test drive first before making a decision. I'm not about to make a imminent decision but looking to the future, after I have sold my Sprint R1. Westfield would be the first choice, but I did drool over the article I read about the Roadrunner with the american V8 motor.

Perhaps my only worry about a V8 is the fact that it seems to be a bit 'old tech' now. Oh, and oil leaks and cooling issues?!

buy mine :d

Hi Pete.

Yours is still on my mind.

I seem to remember that you had a big spare engine lying around that would have been nice instead of the 3.9, but I'm afraid I couldn't afford it. Pity.

i also have both a sprint xe powered car and v8. and I love the v8 on the road  especially with the right gearbox and ratios.

even with standard 3.9 engine it feels quick.so much that i have never bothered to fit my spare 4.6 272bhp engine.

but do often wonder how it would go with it in.

running out of space so the v8 must go .might be open to offers soon. ;)

i also have both a sprint xe powered car and v8. and I love the v8 on the road  especially with the right gearbox and ratios.

even with standard 3.9 engine it feels quick.so much that i have never bothered to fit my spare 4.6 272bhp engine.

but do often wonder how it would go with it in.

running out of space so the v8 must go .might be open to offers soon. ;)

Pete - Give the V8 to Jack as a "well done on passing your driving test" present. Better still fit the spare engine and then give it to him. :d

paul if its was  a practical car for all year i would give it to him. probably cheaper to insure than the quotes im getting for crap group 1  cars. :angry:

Harry is that your photo in your avatar cos I could have sworn it was the late Alan Staniforth, if you ever come to harewood don't be surprised if everyone starts asking you about their suspension.

I hope it's not in too much bad taste and that I don't offend anyone cos I'll change it straight away.

Two of us have been honoured to be able to buy his last Megapin. We can both be considered too old to start hillclimbing but inspired by Mr Staniforth, who was at our local hillclimb in his eighties, we thought we have got a few years yet to learn how to do it!

Let's hope no one ever asks me for suspension advice!!

The photo of Alan is brilliant I think, but again, I will take it down straight away should anyone complain.

No offence intended and none taken as far as I am concerned, Alan was a good friend to the WSCC and I well remember him coming to a Yorkshire area club night many years ago when the pub landlord asked us to leave has he was waiting to lock up, so Alan just continued in the car park :d  :d

Seem to remember it was well after midnight when we left.

As well as the Megapin you didn't get his famous t shirt did you? loved the logo  " The older I get the faster I was"  classic.

Great quote and probably very apt for us. I thought I might get a sticker made up for his old car.

Did I see someone say the Seight was "civilised" !!!  Only if you keep it under control and have a light touch on the throttle! Part of the attraction for me is the older technology, the sound and the ability to shred tyres in most gears ! 

No it's not a track thoroughbred - but many have tamed theirs for the track - it's not the quickest - but not far off it ...

However, their is just something about it that makes it special. If you have to think hard about it... maybe choose something else ?!

Would be interesting to know why others chose the seight!