Hi, just sold my MK!

parkiboy

New member here ao thought id say hello. i have just sold my hayabusa powered MK Indy R, it was a very brief ownership, about 18 months, and that was too long for me, really could not get on with the bike engine!

I was on about building an MEV sonic 7 but Im on about doing it properly this time and getting westfield, im after a tourer/track toy but touring being the main Focus, not to mention the Excellent quality of the kits. I've joined here as I'm hoping to pick up a built Westfield running a zetec or c20xe, already seen a couple I have my eye on but really need to do my research first as I don't have a clue what models what!

Would a live axel westfield handle as well as my MK did?

Parki, hi mate. I would say it depends on how the car is set up, many live axle cars can handle very well with right diff, springs, tyres, Geo, and so on so.

I have liked the mk range over the years. Good luck in your quest to find the right car....

MKs are great just didn't like the bike engine in mine, If the right one came up I would buy another but most tend to be more track orientated these days. Just had a quick read up I think it's the SEIW I'm after, am I correct in sayin they don't god a sei? I'm only small so the wide body is not necessary

Edited by parkiboy

I have a live axle narrow and I fit in ok but I'm only small too. If I put another stone on I might struggle.

Smokey will be a long soon to tell us if there is a SEi available :-)

James

You called James :d

Welcome Parki :t-up: first to answer James' question yes Westfield did make an SEI they're just not quite as common as the SE.

Personally speaking I wouldn't discount a live axle car, as well as typically being a little bit cheeper to buy than their independant equivalent a well set up Live axle can be made to handle equally as well. IMO investing in a good geo set-up is one of the best uprgades which can be made in our cars, but unfortunately whist many are happy to spend 000's on they purchase a couple of extra 100 on a good set-up even for road use can sometimes missed.

Try and get along to your areas next monthly meet if you can and blag a few passenger rides in different cars to gauge an opinion :)

Hi Parkiboy 

Welcome, I can vouch for the handling of live axled Westies  :t-up: it's just my driving thats let me down  ;)

I know of the most fantastic Westie for sale! Maybe a little over the spec you are looking for as it has over 600bhp at the wheels! No its not mine! £25k or so I've been told.

it has over 600bhp at the wheels!

A bit ridiculous IMO.  Most people would say 200 is more than enough.

Rory's Dad

By the way, welcome to the club Parkiboy!

For some people too much is never enough. I think it becomes a technical exercise in what can be done.

It's just that I've seen cars like this floundering at Sprints, unable to use their power, unable to brake and unable to go round corners properly  but hey, each to their own

Rory's Dad

But then a lot of people these days enjoy the run-what-you-brung style 1/4 mile run off's. :d:yellow-westy:

There are almost as many reasons for owning cars like Westfield's as there are Westfield's. Some love the engineering challenge of developing a car, some touring, with the odd B-road blast, some like to compete. Some don't even really want to drive it and have a special polish or cream for each different material on the car.

As long as you love what you're doing, they're all great reasons! But above all, they're a hobby car, readily adaptable to suit what you want from the hobby. Even better, they're able to develop and change as you're requirements and tastes develop and change.

Live axle cars can be made to handle extremely well. While it's true, there is less adjustment of the rear geometry, that also means there's less to get wrong!

While the factory did make independent rear narrow body cars, one other thing to consider, and it's a bit counter intuitive, I know; is that the live narrow car is, all other things being equal, lighter than the indy. rear ended narrow. So put a lightweight engine in there, and you have a nice light Westfield, with all the handling and braking advantages that gives.

I appreciate mine for the sheer other worldly thrust you get in the mid to high range and also love the fact that even though it's turbo charged it never runs out of puff even to the 7900rpm limiter.

I also like giving it a wee polish or a pootle through the lanes. No it's probably not as nimble as some but it's horses for courses. Until you've experienced 800bhp odd to the tonne and what that actually feels like.......well it's one of life's experiences lets put it that way.

Best of luck op

• Like 1

Welcome aboard

I too liked the mks but Westfield has a fantastic speed series

I also wanted small and light so got an early SE narrow ;)

Again as already said go to a local meeting and get some different points of view

• Like 1

Visiting local meets is a perfect way to view a good cross section of cars and owners. Though the numbers of Westfields present will have started tailing off drastically now as some owners SORN them for winter.