Sad news today from bike trackday at Oulton park

pickmaster Andy Lowe

This is an awful thing to happen on what is supposed to be a fun day. My thoughts go to his family and friends.

As an almost trivial aside aside compared with the tragic loss of life, this bodes ill for the future of trackdays alongside the Snetterton matter. The participants know it's risky, but the H&S people will be looking hard at regulating, if not banning such events, I suspect.

Very sad news.

As the police and H&S executive are involved there may be consequences for other track days. 

So sad but it does seem likely that more regulations will apply not just novice/intermediate/expert grading.  Slow people in quick vehicles vs quick people in slow vehicles is my starter for 10 and there does seem to be some instances of two or more people getting competitive. The whole business of GPS lap timing needs to be investigated too.

Rory's Dad

It was very sad.

Reading through the report on facebook I am not sure it wasn't just an unfortunate accident. 

I don't think any more regulations would have stopped it.

we all know the risks involved and motorcyclists even more so , a tragic accident that's what it is , in the grand scheme of things there are very few fatalities on bike track days considering the speeds involved and different levels of ability from riders ,thoughts go out to all involved

police and h&s are allways involved even on race day accidents(fatalities)so don't read to much into that

I think that's my take Nick. Fast following bikes just unsighted. We will see though. I do feel a bit safer in a Westfield with an RAC bar but not as safe as I felt in my old track day BMW.

Deeply sad, deeply unfortunate for the family, but also just an unfortunate aligning of circumstances. Not something that can necessarily be legislated against, nor should it.

There may be lessons to be learned, we'll have to see.

I do have a feeling though, that legislation may come whether required or not.

A tragic event but I really hope it does not lead to more controls and regulation.

One of my main bug bears is that as a Country / society we seem to be loosing the ability to understand that some risks are actually beneficial.

Most progress in life comes from taking risk. You may make a mistake and it goes terribly wrong or you succeed, learn something new and progress.

There must be risk in life for enjoyment, progress and development.

I am not talking about being reckless but pushing boundaries.

It's a risk getting married, its a risk starting a business, it's a risk doing lot's of sports.

If you stop people taking risk and encouraging risk we will be a poorer society economically and socially

David

• Like 2

Wholeheartedly agree David.

However, it also strikes me as, just like the recent insurance debacle, the sort of tidbit that gets used by those with very much their own agenda for their own ends. I'm not naive enough to believe that safety is necessarily their driving force either.

watched quite a few bike track days at various circuits and it has to be said it all looks rather scary stuff (compared to a car day that is)

Such a shame to hear of someones loss of life on what should be a great day out for all :(

Sad news :(

One of the main reasons I gave up biking trackdays was after a big off at silverstone. I do feel that some trackday organisers need a kick up the A*** in regards to track safety and allowing dangerous behaviour from some drivers / groups and even race teams testing. Its a shame we have to get to this stage.

When I went to a bike track day at Castle Combe back in the summer (a friend was taking part in his first) half the bikes were non-road legal track day or race bikes. A far higher percentage vs your average car day.