French Hotels

Pistol Pete

While looking for hotels in France for next years trip, I have come across the Ibis chain of hotels which are available in all the towns we are stopping, look quite nice in the pictures and are reasonably priced. Hon Fleur is £67 per room (same price for one or two people), but doesn't inlcude breakfast which is £7 per person extra.

This is the Hon Fleur one

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-5645-ibis-honfleur/index.shtml

Has anybody got any experience of this chain and any comments good or bad? Or recommend any alternatives that are worth considering.

The locations required are

Hon Fleur

Ameins

Reims

We stayed in one once - just south of Paris.

It was like being locked in a cell in the middle of Harlow Square on a Saturday night.

Since then, they've been on my 'avoid' list - but I could have been unlucky.

B

Accorhotels group, the Premier Inn of France.

If all you want is a bed and some breakfast then OK but if you want a bit more look for the independent hotels outside of the towns.

I've stayed at Ibis hotels in Poland and Germany, they weren't that bad but that was in the '90's.   There are some lovely independent French hotels but finding them and booking  is not easy in advance.

Stayed in one in Reims last year on the way back from the ring with friends. basic cheap accommodation, but was clean. The secure parking next door sold it to us...

When I go to Lemans we always use a Kyriad hotel, food is exceptional (typical french buffet) and the staff are very friendly. The only negative is that they don't always serve dinner on a sunday night as they mainly cater for the busness market rather than tourists. for our sunday dinner we therefore cross the road to the Campanile hotel which is equally nice.

Logis de France are good 

we use Ibis all the time especially the one in Calais, always clean and food not too bad either, they are like Mcdonalds, you know what your getting for your money....

Thanks guys, a French version of Premier Inn will be fine, clean, cheap and parking are the priorities. :t-up:  :t-up:

Not too worried re food as planning on heading to a restaurant in town for evening meal and a few beers. 

I've stayed at the Hotel L'Ecrin in Honfleur. Very nice place, there's a main house and a complex of buildings around a courtyard. It is right in the middle of town so you can walk there to get something to eat. Be careful about buying drinks though - honfleur town is very expensive for a round of beers - 9 euros a pint I recall!

Ibis are like travel lodges, all the same and no character, but they are a bed for the night if you are knackered from travelling and want to stop somewhere at short notice for a rest.

I agree the Logis brochure has the good hotels in it. If you are going to France you must stay in the good hotels - most of them do some brilliant food in their own restaurants where you can eat proper French food - not like the cr*p you get in and around Le Mans during the race weekend..

We used the ibis just outside Bayeux this summer. Clean cheep with a good shower and air con that worked well. They lack charm but do what they say on the tin. We will return this summer and spend a few days exploring Normandy. Far superior to some budget hotels. Even the beds were good.. alan

Echo what everyone else has said. Ibis here and abroard are budget, clean and sparsh, do not expect carpets as they seem to lie rubber flooring everywhere. They are a bit like a prison cell.

When we are in France we never book just arrive and we have always found places to stay easily. Some are fantastic character places with really good food and service.

When touring France on the bike we have used the Welcome B&B chain. Very good prices, secure car parking with breakfast available if required. Nothing too posh but clean and comfortable, all en-suite with TV in the room.

Ian

Don't go over the top on secure car parks. France isn't like the UK where anything not nailed down is gone in 2 minutes. The big cities have crime, the rural areas are almost crime free.

My experience as well with the SKCC road trip, just need Hotel with some sort of parking. Ibis looks like the favorite to keep the cost down. :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up: