Smokey's JW4 Formula Four Rebuild Thread

Mark (smokey mow)

amazing what people have stashed away in their garages

amazing what people have stashed away in their garages

totally agree :) the difficulty though is finding these projects. The generations that tend to have them hidden away are also the same ones that don't have internet access or frequent forums.

To date I owe a lot to luck and good fortune, but likewise this thread has been invaluable in reaching owners or their family :t-up:

.. and sadly as people pass away and widows downsize to smaller properties a lot of stuff like this would potentially just get junked without knowledge of its value to others.

Perhaps you could have an interesting little display at Stoneleigh. Might unearth some other gems.

Mark  It might be worth posting on uphllracers forum.  There are a number of old school photographers on there who may have period photos of JW4s at Prescott or Shelsley.

David

.. and sadly as people pass away and widows downsize to smaller properties a lot of stuff like this would potentially just get junked without knowledge of its value to others.

Perhaps you could have an interesting little display at Stoneleigh. Might unearth some other gems.

With the parts I now have, it’s a real possibility that I’ll have a rolling chassis with the body on by the time Stoneleigh comes around. If it its in a state where it can be put on a trailer then I’ll bring it along in May :cool:

Mark  It might be worth posting on uphllracers forum.  There are a number of old school photographers on there who may have period photos of JW4s at Prescott or Shelsley.

David

That’s a good thought. I’ve obtained a lot of useful information already on TenTenths but hadn’t thought to try uphillracers. I’m a member on there too so I’ll put up a post. :yes:

It's not so much of a build update tonight but more of a solution to my self inflicted space shortage.

Thanks as always goes to Ben who does all my welding and I now have a build trolly to assemble the JW4's on. :cool: It still needs a coat of paint and it's plywood top adding but at least now I can comfortably fit all 3 JW4's and the Westifeld in the garage :cool:

29ef5f2a25c88f7398561388ec0aeb9d.jpg

• Like 1

Nice

But I thought you had bought a welder? Would have been an ideal project for some practice?

Nice

But I thought you had bought a welder? Would have been an ideal project for some practice?

I do own a welder, but if I'd made it then it would neither have been pretty or square :oops:

I do own a welder, but if I'd made it then it would neither have been pretty or square :oops:

No, I don't believe that, a man of your calibre and standards

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Andrew, yes I've been watching it. In some ways I'm suprised it hasn't been sold yet as in my eyes it's very well priced for what it is although the options for running it competitively now are quite limited. I would imagine it will end up being sold for a private collection rather than making it back onto the hills.

Finally I've finished the build table, now to start rebuilding some cars :cool:

DSC_0040.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After a cold day working in the garage on the JW4 I found myself flicking through the pages of an old issue of Autosport from November 1969. I'd not spotted it previously but happened to stumble across this old advert advertising the sale of Johnny Walker's Motorsport Business.

SaleofBusiness.jpg

Every year there is a really nice classic car show at Tetbury. That would be a great place to show it as I bet there are still some who worked there still alive and in the area.