Mark (smokey mow)

Smokey's JW4 Formula Four Rebuild Thread

34 minutes ago, MMB said:

Hi Smokey

Been a while since I checked in...looks fantastic!

Here are a few pics of the firewall I made for my JW4 when I had it. Very simple and rests on the rails and still lets the air flow from the NACA duct under the seat to the engine bay.

All the best

MMB

walker 003.jpg

walker 006.jpg

Hi Bob, its been a while, I hope you're keeping well.

the firewall on your car was a very elegent solution which I like a lot, thank you for the photos.

for our UK racing regulations the firewall needs to provide a complete seal between the driver and engine compartment to create a barrier against fuel spillage or fire.  On this car the body is from the JW4 Mk2 so lacks the air ducts that were fitted to Mk3 body on your JW4 and my blue car.  The rear engine cover on the mk2 is much lower than the Mk3 so the cylinder head of the engine sits in the airstream for cooling rather than enclosed within the bodywork.

my hope is that a simple flat aluminium closing plate will be sufficent behind the seats cut to match the curve of the body, but I may need to get creative with carboard first to get the shape right.

• Like 2