Costa Concordia

jeff oakley

It would be cheaper to build a new ship than to repair and refit it.

I bet SteveD could fix it for less than half a billion quid. He might need a bigger jig though.

I bet SteveD could fix it for less than half a billion quid. He might need a bigger jig though.

:d No doubt!

Of course, the issue is that they had to shift it, no choice, couldn't leave it there, and so far it's cost an estimated £500 million to shift it that far.

Fixing it afterwards (if even possible) would be, at a guess, probably £150-200 million, for a ship few would want to sail on, given its past history.

Even if the damage wasn't so severe to the starboard side, I wouldn't have thought the structure would be sound in any case. the forces that have been exerted to the hull to pull it upright will have been enormous, the salvage team had already voiced concerns about it ripping open during the roll process.

The planned scrapping is the right way forward IMO, re float it, tow it away and scrap it.

Like has been mentioned earlier, huge credit the hundreds/thousands of people who have taken it this far without causing any more damage to the ship or contaminating the sea, but it's also a grave, hopefully the missing bodies will be recovered and the families of the victims can get closure.

• Like 1

Really can't see it being sunk offshore.

It would be unbelievably insensitive to "dispose of" in that manner, considering 32 people died onboard.

To repair and rename her is equally as insensitive.

Should be scrapped and money ought not to be considered.

Cheers

I think environmental, what is achievable  and cost factors will be the main drivers. If all bodies found / removed (which they aren't yet) then not sure the sensitivity as much as it would be if considered a 'grave ship'.  If a grave ship there would be many who would prefer it to be a sunken resting place than hacked over and broken up.

Normally a ship of that size would have been broken in India.  No way it would or probably could be towed that far though.

As I understand it at present there is nowhere agreed to take it.

and as for the Captain, Francesco Schettino, who is on trial at this moment for "manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship", he deliberately changed course to perform a night-time sail-past to people and friends on the Island of Giglio.

He then claimed he'd saved lives by bringing the boat into shore! I think the truth is, that the electrical systems shut down and the ship lost steerage, then being at the mercy of wind and tide.

If found guilty!!!! "hung, drawn and quartered" would be too lenient IMHO.

Cheers

Read more on the "Captain"http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16584591

I would have thought if no yard in Italy would break her, there's a few in Turkey that will do the job - pretty sure that's where the Ark Royal was taken.

But yes, I remember they used to do it in India.  They took the Canberra there at the end of her life.  They put her engines to Full Ahead and literally drove her straight into the beach at full speed, where an army of thousands equipped with acetylene torches swarmed over it like ants.  She was dismantled totally within 60 days.

An impressive achievement .. even more so when you see it upright and the extent of the damage

Computers rule in engineering too of course .. unless your view of engineering stopped with the Victorians.

I understand that but in truth in this case computers have sped up the process, it could all have been done by other methods if necessary. My point was here was an example to people of engineering at it's best. Too many people see engineering as something to do if you cannot invent a website or make money by betting on pork bellies. Without engineers nothing would get built.

There was never a plan to salvage her for re use, it has always been for scrap. I think it is going to end up in india or turkey but as far as I can tell this is not decided yet.

They still have a lot of work to do now fitting the other spondons and refloating her. Once that is done then they have something to sell to the highest bidder scrap wise.

I hope they find the bodies but in truth looking at the damage if they were in any of the areas which are crushed then there will be little to find.

As for the captain, he cocked up royally, but again from what I read the actions of him and his crew putting the ship where it ended up did save lives. His actions following that by leaving the ship before the passengers and the rest of his crew will go down as one of the most selfish and cowardly events in history.

You can only watch these feats in awe of the amazing skill that is involved when you consider the size of the ship.  Makes you proud of engineers.

I just wish watching it was not needed especially with the awful loss of life after the terrible actions of the crew (not just the captain) to cause the incident in the first place.  The ship was indeed moved to a 'safe' place afterwards, but that should never have been needed.

Jail would be too good a punishment for the captain - a pathetic excuse for a human being if ever there was one.  How could any man let alone a captain have left that ship?