Costa Concordia

jeff oakley

In the news the we have all seen the recovery start of the Costa Concordia. In this day and age where computers rule and money men are seen by some as gods, here we have an example of men and women who can do extraordinary things in engineering. Where welders and divers have assembled the spondons to allow this giant of a ship to be uprighted.

An international effort with many British companies and workers involved.

Sad it happened but what a feat!

• Like 1

Estimated at £500,000,000 cost - so far!  But most impressive.

Let's not forget the ship is also a grave - 20 months on, there are still two bodies inside and their families are desperate to have them back home.  :down: 

In the news the we have all seen the recovery start of the Costa Concordia. In this day and age where computers rule and money men are seen by some as gods, here we have an example of men and women who can do extraordinary things in engineering. Where welders and divers have assembled the spondons to allow this giant of a ship to be uprighted.

An international effort with many British companies and workers involved.

Sad it happened but what a feat!

An impressive achievement .. even more so when you see it upright and the extent of the damage

Computers rule in engineering too of course .. unless your view of engineering stopped with the Victorians.

I see its upright today, which is amazing -glad they didn't get me to weld the side tank on it tho, that may have fallen off.

£500,000,000   ???  where did that come from 

I assume Lloyd's of London, probably.

Months of work lie ahead, assessing and repairing damage to the ship, before it can be towed away to be destroyed - probably next spring.

Why repair it to destroy it. I understand that people probably wouldn't want to sail in it but if the name was changed and its appearance altered it would be OK.

I think that they need to repair and strengthen the hull just to be able to semi float her and tow her away.

The problem they will also have apparently is that at the moment there is nowhere at all local that would be able to break a ship of this size.

I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being towed away and sunk offshore.

Why repair it to destroy it. I understand that people probably wouldn't want to sail in it but if the name was changed and its appearance altered it would be OK.

I think you just contradicted yourself there... people are still going to know it's past life, whatever they called it.

Plus look at today's photos - the starboard side has been severely crushed.  It would be cheaper to build a new ship than to repair and refit it.

There's at least £10 million in scrap steel there, and probably fittings on the port side that can be salvaged and still have value.

Probably, but £10,000,000 is not a lot when you consider the total financial cost of re-floating, repairing and towing to a scrapyard (probably in Asia).

I think that they need to repair and strengthen the hull just to be able to semi float her and tow her away.

The problem they will also have apparently is that at the moment there is nowhere at all local that would be able to break a ship of this size.

I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being towed away and sunk offshore.

Really can't see it being sunk offshore.

It would be unbelievably insensitive to "dispose of" in that manner, considering 32 people died onboard.

To repair and rename her is equally as insensitive.

Should be scrapped and money ought not to be considered.

Cheers