Feelings of guilt

BEN99W

I'm part-exing my daily driver and find myself wracked with guilt at what feels like my betrayal!

She's an Alfa 156 twin spark in dark metallic green with biscuit momo leather, but just a little too thirsty in fuel and oil to justify keeping. In 3 years and 30k she's given no problems and scrubs up nicely despite the patina of 10 years.

I know I was less thorough as I cleaned and vac'd her, then swapped out the DAB headunit for the old stereo then emptied out the bit and pieces I always carry in a car. All the while she sat there looking beautiful in the rain.

I've got a few more days before I hand her to the 'slave traders', and I don't know if she'll go with dignity or become suddenly vengeful, but right now I feel terrible.

But then there's the excitement of the new car...

Ben

• Like 1

I'm not sure about modern Alfa's but the one's I had in the 60's definitely had soul and would have been very upset to be sold. 

Felt exactly the same when I traded my old 156 a few years ago. Mine was a lovely dark blue metallic with tan leather veloce twin spark. Had her 5 years and over 40K and only let me down once due to faulty crank sensor. Even they she started an hour later and got me home. Something about Alfas, nowhere near as attached to the BMW I replaced her with.

I've found that German cars like BMW and Audi are perfect but soulless. Whereas Italian cars are no where near perfect with bits falling off and switches breaking but have real soul, a character and are so great to drive.

New car will be a smart forfour 1.5 actually, so will be fun, funky and frugal. Not really an enthusiasts car, but I have a soft spot for the smart brand. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it and showing it some love, but hate seeing the faithful Alfa leave my life.

Ben

I agree with Norman!

Loved my 156 GTA, she went with the ex wife... Who hated her! The ex wife couldn't even drive, not had a single lesson... But still got the car!

I've had a S3, cracking car, but felt like I was constantly in a driving simulator! Not quite as bad as the Jap cars, that did what they said on the tin... But that's it. Favourite cars have been the British ones. MGBGT, MG Midget, 1973 Mini Cooper, 1985 Mini Tahiti, a 1989 Mini Sprite, Robin Hood and they best of all :yellow-westy: !!!