Can anyone tell me more about this car?

Phil363

It's a long way to go, and as it is a dealer I can't call out of hours, but I'm wondering if anyone can throw any light on this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307047644593/sort/default/usedcars/make/westfield/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/gl44qy/page/1/radius/1500/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

Is it a narrow body?  And can any one tell what the engine is please?

Seems a good deal at face value, but I'm not sure about a trip to Perth from Gloucester to verify.  But it does look rather nice!

Cheers

Phil

Looking at the rear lights and roll bar it appears to be an early widebody to me.

Engine is a crossflow. :)

• Like 1

Hi Phil and Welcome  :t-up:

I think you'll find that's a wide with fixed rear arches, I'm not 100% sure about the engine but I think its a Xflow, but I am sure someone far more capable will be along soon to put me right  ???

Calling Smokey to the floor  :yes:

• Like 1

b******* I must learn to type faster  :(

• Like 1

Calling Smokey to the floor  :yes:

you need to type faster than that to beat me :p
  • Like 1

You guys never cease to amaze me!! The speed of response and ability to tell who the owner is from 100 paces and what colour underwear the guy is wearing is incredible!!

Many thanks!

:d :D :d

Back to the original question, for a wide body car it seems very well priced to me.

To save yourself a long drive you could always ask the seller to send a few detailed photos to you first to look over so you can better gauge the condition. From what i can see from the photos it appears quite clean, but it's easy to neglect the bits that can't be seen such as the underbody, so a photo of the rear suspension and the chassis within the engine bay will help give an idea of whether it's been well cared for. I'd also budget for having to replace the shocks and also those tyres.

• Like 1

Excellent tip smokey mow, I have just emailed and asked for further information.  ALthough the comments for no offers please may well get ignored!!  I am interested, but can't decide on the best set up.  As you may have seen I'm a total newbie, and do not have a great deal of mechanical ability beyond very basic routine maintenance,  However I have got the bug and let us say it is an itch i need to scratch.

Am also looking as per other posts at a 1.6 CVH Turbo as well as another 1.6 CVH non turbo. Having spoken to a couple of other owners with similar itentions to myself it would seem that either may suit, but then this one popped up on the radar!

Decisions, decisions.....!!

Looks a decent car for the money but beware photos can lie.

From experience buying cars at distance before committing to travel ask loads of questions and ask for high res pics of any damage/marks etc 

A close pic of the exposed area of the front wishbones is a good clue to the general condition of a westfield, if its tidy there chances are its been cared for and loved.

Hi Phil, I went to see this car a few months ago when it was at its original price of £6000. I spent all of 5 minutes looking at it, but decided within the first few seconds that it wasn't the car for me! As others have said, I think it's a wide. The engine is a 1600 or 1700cc cross flow and the block is very rusty with no paint left on it. The body, especially the bonnet is crazed and the wheels are marked and have been kerbed. The steering wheel is too big and you'll graze your knuckles when the doors are on. The wishbones, uprights and steering arm have all been poorly hand painted. The gear linkage felt extremely floppy.

It depends what you're looking for in a Westfield, but as I say, it wasn't for me. I'm sure you could find better closer to you.

Happy hunting. Let us know when you get one. The ideal Westie for you will be out there somewhere.

• Like 1

Hi Phil, I went to see this car a few months ago when it was at its original price of £6000. I spent all of 5 minutes looking at it, but decided within the first few seconds that it wasn't the car for me! As others have said, I think it's a wide. The engine is a 1600 or 1700cc cross flow and the block is very rusty with no paint left on it. The body, especially the bonnet is crazed and the wheels are marked and have been kerbed. The steering wheel is too big and you'll graze your knuckles when the doors are on. The wishbones, uprights and steering arm have all been poorly hand painted. The gear linkage felt extremely floppy.

It depends what you're looking for in a Westfield, but as I say, it wasn't for me. I'm sure you could find better closer to you.

Happy hunting. Let us know when you get one. The ideal Westie for you will be out there somewhere.

David, absolutely more than helpful.  Even at £4200 it sounds at the heavy end given the time of year.  Sounds like it needs some money/time/TLC.

You, as others have said, that the ideal Westie is out there somewhere, so I'll keep looking!!

• Like 1

Hi Phil. I'm on my second Westfield (the first narrow, the current wide). Both Crossflow engined (the one you are talking about is definitely a Crossflow). Both were £4k of there abouts. Davids description of the car sounds a lot like I would have described the one I bought. Yes I have had problems but I have enjoyed fixing them with the generous help of forum posters. Please don't dismiss it out of hand as it will provide lots of fun fixing up the stuff that needs attention. For me, I get as big a kick learning skills and understanding the car and it's mechanicals as I do driving it. But if you want something just for dependable driving then you should probably look elsewhere. Depends what you want really.

As for the Crossflow, I *really* like this engine. Yes, more modern engines with FI are going to be easier to live with but IMHO they don't come close to the sounds and smells of a Crossflow on twin sidedraught carbs.

Oh, and welcome to the club.

• Like 1

It looks nice in photos

I liked my cross flow engine it made a well balanced drive with loads noise smell and feedback

I thought long and hard before my engine upgrade and got £350 for the old cross flow then £225 for the carbs

This went along way to fund my upgradeitus I soon developed

I don't think a CVH will return much money when sold to upgrade

What ever you buy you will catch upgradeitus you know

Welcome aboard too :)