Helmet for Trackdays

Bubba

With all this time sitting down at the moment (knee op 3 weeks ago) my thoughts have been drawing towards doing a track day when I can finally drive again. (Hopefully around the start of November) I want to buy a Helmet that is SNELL specification so that I can do future trackdays without concern. I have seen Hedtec ones advertised does anyone have any experience of them or any recommendations for other ones less than say £200 or am I being unrealistic?

I have a HedTec and tbh I don't really like it. I find it difficult to get seated correctly and then it isn't that comfortable. If I'd have tried it on before I bought it I probably wouldn't have bought it. My old Sparco open face helmet was far more comfortable.

i went to a bike shop and bought one for £50. i only use it a little bit and found it comfy enough. i think if i was to do a lot of stuff that needed one i would spend more but i think it's worth a look

• Like 1

Although, in theory, you need a motorsport lid at some venues I've never had my helmet checked or heard of anyone actually getting turned away for wearing a bike lid.

Buy on fit rather than price/recommendation though.  When I got my first  bike I REALLY wanted an Arai lid.  Turns out I have the wrong shaped head, but Shoei fitted perfectly... Fast forward a few years and I wanted to try a few motorsports helmets, only to discover that I still don't have an Arai shaped head, but Bells are incredibly comfortable.

Must be getting to sale time for motorsport kit though... worth having a look at GPR (Silverstone) to see if there are any clearance ones (and work out which brands/sizes fit)?

• Like 1

I have a Schuberth C3 Pro which is a bikers helmet - not cheap though but I am sure there are similar items for less

Highly recommend helmets like this with the drop down sun visor and much improved ventilation, sealing of helmet and noise reduction - brilliant

The front flips up so it is easier for me to get my specs on too

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Koden-Kart-Car-SA2010-Race-Track-Helmet-Black-White-Red-Yellow-/300852211609?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&var=&hash=item460c306f99

I have one of these - about £80 and it's SA2010 - only use it for track days a few times a year and I've found it comfortable.

Afternoon

I went through a similar thought process when buying a helmet for a passenger to come out on track days with me. I stumbled across this website, which helped me make the choice as I personally wouldn't buy anything less than a 5 star rating, irrespective of what the manufacturer says the helmet is good for.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

I ended up buying this one, a bit chavvy but pleased that my missus's noggin is well protected! Comes in plain colours too but could only get the tribal design in large (more like a medium as a snug fit), the price is great and the spec is good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NITRO-AIKIDO-FIBREGLASS-ACU-GOLD-FULL-FACE-MOTORCYCLE-CRASH-HELMET-BLACK-GUN-/400390092963?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&var=&hash=item5d391bf8a3

Hope this info helps, and your knee mends quickly!

I'm a big fan of the V2 Sport helmets to be honest. Outstanding value for money and literally the most comfy helmet I tried on at Autosport show last year, even compared to Arai, Simpson and Bell at 5-6 times the price! (That said, different helmets will fit different people better than others so if you can get somewhere to try some on I would definitely advise it)

I would suggest getting an approved one so you can enter a sprint as well! :)

Plenty of views there and lots of great ideas thank you all. I always used to have to get my American Football helmet special order from the states so think it may be worthwhile visiting some shops and seeing what suits my noggin. GPR is not far at Silverstone and Sprints was an area I was thinking for the future. I take it that 2010 spec is obligatory?

If you are thinking about Sprints or any other MSA event even as an off chance then it makes sense to buy and MSA approved helmet which will also be Fire Retardent. Snell SA2000 goes out very soon, so get an SA2005 or better a SA2010. See here http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/13/151_189_Common_Regulations_for_Competitors_(Safety)_(K).pdf Page 166

Whilst BCF's link is interesting if you are riding a motorcycle, Motorsport car helmets have to meet different criteria which motorcycle helmets rarely meet. Fire Retardency is the most obvious, but also the type of impact is generally different between a car and a bike. A bike normally getting multiple hits on the road, compared with a car helmet, getting one big hard hit, followed by other smaller ones. The Snell Institute looks at Car racing helmets, so my personal preference would always be to go for a Snell Approved helmet. But as with all things it's a matter of personal choice.

• Like 1

A good point Nick, well made! Have to admit then when I start racing (hopefully next year),I will be opting for a snell SA2010 approved helmet, so I am starting to save now. ARDS on Tuesday!

But what interested me was that until the SHARP tests came out, there was no standard method of testing all helmets below the FIA specs, and just how poorly some of the easily available helmets performed. At least now you can see what you are getting. I'm currently using an FM W10 from about 13 years ago, gold ACU approved but probably not great by today's standards. Buying that second helmet opened my eyes to just how poor some of the 'bargains' out there can be, so as said above, it's SA2010 all the way for the next hat.

Good luck with your purchase bubba!

You need to visit the Autosport show next year, plenty of choice there and you need to try them on to find the best fitting helmet. You can try them on within a few minutes of each other for a quick comparison.  

• Like 1

I have an arai gp5 helmet, very comfy, 5* rated, and you can pick them up for around £250 now. Had it for years and it came with a clear and dark smoked visor, a few different padded inserts etc. I'd like an iridium visor but they're £80 and can't justify it :) lol.

I'd give a thumbs up for the Racelidz as sold by Playskool Motorsport. Snell approved, so ok for competition, yet no more than the average bike helmet.

However, like others have said, you really need to try one on for fit/comfort, so get to the Autosport Racing Car show, or next year's Nat. Kitcar Show, and visit the Playskool stand to try one on.

• Like 1