Total newbie!

Phil363

Hi all

I'm looking at taking the plunge into the kit car pond and wondered what the take is amongst you knowledgable folks on these two distinctively different vehicles.

Many thanks in advance!!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309038601641/sort/default/usedcars/make/westfield/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/page/1/quicksearch/true/postcode/gl44qy?logcode=p

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C356854

Welcome to the club

The cvh turbo looks like a nice car for the money. It all depends what you are wanting from the car. If your thinking about track days you will prob get frustrated with the xflow as it won't have the punch to overtake the moron straight line only drivers who won't shift.

If your not sure what your after head to your local meet and check out what's about and see what people have done. If you but the wrong car to start with it gets blumin expensive when the guaranteed upgradeitus kicks in.

Phil

Good morning,

Welcome to the club!

In my opinion I would go for the xflow. I had a turbo Robin Hood and the turbo made it impossible to drive. I believe the other is pre lit (watch me get corrected) and looks a nice car.

I would've started with what Phil said above, but already said.

From my personal opinion the turbo bonnet scoop looks horrible and put me off straight away. The other would make a great car for driving at 30-60 mph down A/B roads on a nice Sunday afternoon. The car would also be very easy to maintain with cheap parts and a whole new engine/gearbox would cost less than a boys weekend in London!

As Phil said, depends on what you want. If you would like further opinion based advice feel free to PM... However it is my opinion! :laugh:

Yup correction time neither are prelit's. the cvh is a 1991 wide body and the xflow is a 1991 narrow body with English axle

Yup correction time neither are prelit's. the cvh is a 1991 wide body and the xflow is a 1991 narrow body with English axle

Thought so!

Thought X-Flow was.

That CVH turbo is a bargain at that price and, having been setup by NMS (Northampton MotorSport) I reckon that's be a nice car to drive too  :yes:

whatever you get though, I recommend putting a proper rollbar (from the likes of Plays-Kool or Westfield) on it as they both have the standard cosmetic one which is only any good as a clothes line...

The turbo car isn't impossible to drive. It's not a home brew lash up like many, it's a production car engine, and was developed and sold in that form by Westfield. (Back in the early nineties there were some serious concerns, legislation wise, for the future of kit cars in this country, some companies Westfield were one, responded by making some seriously "productionised" and IIRC homologated versions of their cars. This doesn't quite look like one of those, but does seem to share many of the parts.)

Do look at as many cars as you can though, it'll give you the best idea of what to look for.

Those two will have very different driving styles, ultimately, only you will know what style of Westfield suits you. The crossflow is certainly a characterful and great engine in a Westfield. Bear in mind though, it will be old, now, and playing the percentages game, is likely to need more hands on maintenance than a more modern engine. That's fine if you have the time and inclination for it, in fact for many of us, it's part of the fun! It just depends what your expectations are and what you're looking for.

Absolutely, as Rab said, try and get along to your nearest meets, you should still be in time to catch some local cars before the mesh ones go in to hibernation!  ;)  :p  :laugh: 

Its a fantastic opportunity to have a look at lots of different variations and combinations of car and have a chat to the owners; it will help you get an idea of what you want from a Westfield, and that in turn will help you know what you want to look out for. Plus you'll need about a milliseconds persuasion to get someone to take you for a quick spin round the block!

Welcome to the club, as a fellow noob personally I would have chosen the cvh turbo. No technical reasons from me, just prefer the look of it.

Thanks folks lots of food for thought.

I'm after something that'll be a good bit of fun to drive. I'm an ex biker and basically I'm looking at this as being nothing more practical than a bike.

I drive a variety of cars from 1930 Aistins to 40's and 50's Alvis through to 3 Series BMW. So I know that expectations and driving styles need to be adapted to suit the vehicle.

Track days aren't my intention but if I try one I might just get the bug!!

I don't have any particular mechanical inclination or indeed aptitude so something reasonably straight forward and reliable would be my ideal.

I'm away from next weekend for a couple of weeks and am planning on visiting the Exeter show at the end of the month.

Cheers all, and also thanks for the welcomes!

Phil

Good to meet you at Tetbury show today, Phil - as I said we expect to see your car at the October Cotswolds meet.  Good luck in finding the right one.

• Like 1