A guide to what the British really mean when we speak...

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

The one I hate to hear from my boss is "have you got a minute?" Which means "have you got at least an hour for me to talk in circles and never get to the point but it means more work for you"

I use "to be honest" in much the way Dommo describes, as do the others Ive heard use it! Sort of interchangeable with "to be Lunt" but a little more polite!

Politicians' favourite: "Let me be clear..."  :swear:  The only time they're ever clear and straightforward is after they've left office and are compiling their memoirs. 

"I have an idea" = "Here's something I want you to do so I can take the credit if it works and blame you if it doesn't"

• Like 1

The corporate folk. They probably employ someone, at a huge salary, to dream them up. 

Don't be daft, Norman.  

How are you ever going to think outside the box, not to mention execute that paradigm shift, if you need to outsource such trivially simple matters?

• Like 1

I like the way you ran that up the flag pole! Honestly, like herding cats here sometimes.

I like the way you ran that up the flag pole! Honestly, like herding cats here sometimes.

Indeed.  But, whilst we're on a roll, let's throw some more against the wall and see what sticks!

I was pushing the envelope. I tried to use clear blue sky thinking. 

Never mind, I'll crawl back into the corner and pulsate a bit longer.

I hear you...

No Norm, don't do that, we need to keep delivering to the drum beat of change.

Don't worry, Norman probably realises that, going forward, there won't be any other way to proactively exploit the synergies inherent in our holistic strategic approach!  We'll let him decide whether or not he's going to demonstrate that he's got what it takes to stay on the bus...

You come across the Yanks 'reaching out' to people? They all do it (sorry Scott)

If you reach out for a heads-up, you stand to get decapitated! :d