Beer

tolf

Our local Weatherspoons has just had a £1m refurb. Needed doing as a bit tired and grotty. Has been open now for 3 weeks and they still run out of beer most weeks!

New manager is crap, staff hate her and most of the old staff have left.

Still, when they do have beer, it tastes good

Rant over

I can't remember having decent beer up north, in he main they drink John Smiths, tenents and lager. I've never known a pub up there to receive the best pub of the year award from CAMRA, always the pubs down sarf.   It also seems when there is a woman manager they get rid of the real beer and concentrate on food and other things.  Wetherspoons have a great reputation for good beer and however many brands of beer they have they are always On. In my local last year they made a big thing of having 3 beers available, up from the normal one. Now we have only one that is available and drinkable (woman manager of course). Too many pubs seem to concentrate on anything but the quality beer thesedays IMO.

Bernie, meet me in Sheffield next May and I'll show you some real pubs with award winning ales.

My friend Eddie was pulling me a pint, a stranger stood at the bar, the phone was ringing. Stranger says "the phones ringing" Eddie: "I can't sell beer down the phone" Over 30 beers, no food.

If you would like a good BEER go to a little place called Tiverton in Devon. Ask for Gouldy's pub. Gouldy is an ex soldier and only serves real beer and cider. All out barrelled and behind the bar are shelves of barrels to choose from!

Next best place would be The Dolphin on Plymouth hoe, serves many cask beers and ale, some cask cider and even lagers.

Unfortunately most weather spoons I've known run out of beer and have useless managers for a while. Then either customers lesson or they sort themselves out... But a few months down the line they sort themselves out.

North West
Taps, Henry Street, Lytham St Annes, Lancashire, FY8 5LE (Page 240, Good Beer Guide 2011) 

This multi award-winning one-roomed pub has six varying guest beers including a cask mild. The pub supports the local lifeboat and rugby team, and much memorabilia is displayed. The landlord is the only person to win Branch Pub of the Year in two different pubs. The venue stocks a regular changing real cider. 

Weatherspoons conjure up an image of red nosed old men queuing at 8am to get in for breakfast and a pint (not their last of the day!). Many of them still there late into the afternoon.

I'm sorry Marty...

Any establishment mentioned in there would be too commercial for a really good beer. I'm trying to find pictures of Gouldy's, but I can't find any.

Weatherspoons conjure up an image of red nosed old men queuing at 8am to get in for breakfast and a pint (not their last of the day!). Many of them still there late into the afternoon.

Thats me  :)

Those were the days...

Queuing up to get in on the way home from a good night out for a fried breakfast and a beer to wake myself up.

I know there are many good pubs up North but never found one, thanks for your nominations.

Wetherspoons for brekky and a pint, yes that would suit me too,  it's going on my retirement bucket list. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry Marty...

Any establishment mentioned in there would be too commercial for a really good beer. I'm trying to find pictures of Gouldy's, but I can't find any.

apart from the ones that are indipendant or ran from small local chains. simple advice is avoid any chain or local boozer syled pub that have the generic auto pump things on. maybe im spoilt in liverpool/chester but i can think of at least 6 pubs that are within spitting distance of my desk that all serve  real beer and are all well know for it. oneof them is the pub on campus.

We've got a great little local micro brewery here in Congleton, they have a local pub themselves, supply to a few in the area, and serve lots of local functions etc. they've got a cracking range and a just one of a fantastic range of similar small businesses.

apart from the ones that are indipendant or ran from small local chains. simple advice is avoid any chain or local boozer syled pub that have the generic auto pump things on. maybe im spoilt in liverpool/chester but i can think of at least 6 pubs that are within spitting distance of my desk that all serve real beer and are all well know for it. oneof them is the pub on campus.

Sounds spot on!

Well I'm yet to find a real pub in Birmingham! Been here 5 years and had many nights searching. There are a few "OK" places. Broad St has about 80 pubs, a couple "Really Really Niiice Pubs", which when told they serve "Really Really Niiice Beer" have a selection of carbonated urinal catch tray contents!

Back before here I was walking distance from the Badger Brewery, so spoilt really! And some monkeys really can't plan a P'up in a brewery!

"Your task is to plan a the leaving party for..."

Well there's a brewery, call them, get quotes, clear funds, book table, collect money, pay, done, easy... I attended four or five leaving party's in my three years there that were a complete mess and you wouldn't believe it! I planned several during a tea break!

Personally I would suggest the Bramshall Inn, near Uttoxeter in Stafforshire. Five real ales on, including Doombar from Cornwall, Timothy Taylor Landlord, Pedigree and two other local guest ales. A CAMRA pub of month winner, Cask Marqued. Great food. Photo of a Westfield behind the bar. Car meet every third Wednesday of month - and if you ask for a bottled alcho pop you will be shown the door.