3.0 A4 audi, whats it like to live with?

Darrell O'Neill

I don't think 100k a problem for the engine , - it's the other bits that might fall off - water pumps, alternators , starters , radiators , brake discs, dampers, oil seals, cam & aux belts, fuel injectors , clutches, drive shafts, electric gadgets, all might be nearing the end and need a good look at .

Yes it's me again pointing out the doom and gloom ;)

Bear in mind a lot if these parts are no different to the common parts used on cheaper cars that seem to be accepted as worn out at these miles , except on upmarket cars are more expensive and dealers less helpful to DIYers.

There is usually a reason why the value of such cars , approaching their autumn years are so cheap- they are cheap and you have to accept some element of risk with a purchase , especially as parts can be very expensive .You can have a lot of cheap fun - do you feel lucky ?

Thanks Hammy, so good advice and I know exactly what you mean.

I've always had new or a couple year old cars, but nowadays all I use a car for (have a works van) is ferrying the kids around and the odd day out at the weekend. I just can't warrant the depreciation and outlay of newer car. Last year I done less than 3000 miles in my road vehicle.

I know wot you mean but you can buy a pretty new cheaper car for £5k compared to luxury car .

Eg when I last looked £10k would buy me a 100k 3 series lowish spec BMW one year younger to replace my £1500 Mondeo with 80k on it- didn't seem worth the swap!

!!