3.0 A4 audi, whats it like to live with?

Darrell O'Neill

I know I've touched on this subject before, but I'm on the hunt to for a low cost weekend run around and something other than my works van and the westie when my trusty, but rusty Pajero dies in the next few months.

My wish list is for something 4wd (to tow the race car and handle the local white stuff in the winter), something with 5 doors, but also something fun to drive and all the toys would be nice.

My heart is leaning towards the 3.0 A4 Quattro estate, as mileage and MPG isn't too important, but what are they like? With a budget of 4-5K id probably be looking at something around the 100,000 mile mark. 

Any opinions? Any advice what to look for or anything else that comes to mind with those credentials and budget? 

Impreza estate would be fun and well within budget - the estates have managed to stay apart from the image issues IMO

Not much in the way of toys though

If youre getting used a 4x4 estate, Subaru have several options. Impreza as suggested above, or legacy 3.0 or forester xtr. All will be more fun and more reliable, although perhaps won't look as fashionable as the Audi. They're pretty juicy to run, (mid to low 20s mpg) but that doesn't sound like a problem on limited mileage.

Mazda 6 mps is another fun but practical option.

I can't help on the ownership experience of the Audi, but my other halfs TT is the least reliable car we have in terms of niggles.

Ben

How about my 2005 V70 diesel. Great tow car, lots of power, toys and with the winter tyres (also available) goes everywhere you need.

Never got stuck in this with winters on !

See for sale add :)

• Like 1

Audi A6 Allroad 2.5tdi could be a possibility, great tow car, loads of room, strong and reliable IMHO that is, only down side is fuel consumption low 20's on a good day :yes:

Audi A6 Allroad 2.5tdi could be a possibility, great tow car, loads of room, strong and reliable IMHO that is, only down side is fuel consumption low 20's on a good day :yes:

bigger downside is the 2.5 tdi engine :(

Subaru turbo will be a quick car but built quality is shocking compared to a german car, not had a lot to do with the 3.0 petrol engine in the Audi so cant really comment. 

Allroad height adjustable suspension is costly to renew and will not last the life of the car.

Ben

Subaru turbo will be a quick car but built quality is shocking compared to a german car, not had a lot to do with the 3.0 petrol engine in the Audi so cant really comment. 

Sounds like you've had a bad experience Jeff ? I've had three 2.5 TDI's which i've used to tow around europe and for the last 4 years a 2.7 TDI all have been perfectly reliable for me :yes:

I assume for the budget you mean the 3.0 V6 petrol. I had one, a saloon, and it drank a serious amount of fuel. in my opinion way to much for the performance it gave. The weight of the Quattro system was the main cause.

Sounds like you've had a bad experience Jeff ? I've had three 2.5 TDI's which i've used to tow around europe and for the last 4 years a 2.7 TDI all have been perfectly reliable for me :yes:

ive sold quite a few back in the day, one of audis worst engines imho, no torque at lower revs and not a lot once you get moving, poor mpg and then once they get miles on them the cams wear badly. had no probs personally just dont recommend them, if a diesel is on the cards a 1900 is a better option.

dont really agree with "build quality is shocking" - yes materials and fit are very much low rent compared to german stuff, but in the three impreza's I have owned nothing has ever gone wrong or fallen off despite much abuse :d:devil:

ive sold quite a few back in the day, one of audis worst engines imho, no torque at lower revs and not a lot once you get moving, poor mpg and then once they get miles on them the cams wear badly. had no probs personally just dont recommend them, if a diesel is on the cards a 1900 is a better option.

Having owned a few, my opinion couldn't be more different, awesome motor, loads of low down torque, pulled my twin wheel caravan out of the **** many a time with ease, poor mpg on the quattro Allroad but the 2 wheel drive version does 35 around town and 50+ on a run :t-up:  

The first 2.5 tdi A6 Avant I owned had done 170000mls when I sold it, no issuse with the cams, infact no issues period. :yes:

Oh well different strokes for different folks I guess ;)

The problem I always have with cheap

Expensive cars ( if you see what I mean) is maintainance and running costs - and if it goes wrong other big costs (starters , clutch etc) . They should be just as likely to go wrong as an initially cheaper car ( mark up on exec cars etc)

This has always stopped me buying a used BMW with 130k miles over say a Mondeo with 20k miles for the same price ( New BMW electric steering is rubbish anyway )I think i was scared off by the Merc 280e i had , where the water pump cost £200 ( failed at 70k) to buy and hundreds more to fit ( vent down air con etc ..) . Am I being too old and grumpy ?

Am I being too old and grumpy ? 

Yes, welcome to the club.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the Scooby was second on my list but I just don't know if I could live with the bland interior and basic layout.

I like the fun factor of the Scooby, but at the end of the day, if I want a fun blat I'll take out the Westie.

I was hoping everyone was going to say how good the A4 3.0 was....

Unfortunately in the part of the country I live in nothing, and I mean nothing gets around here when it snows...

Might see if I can blag a ride or drive on the Audi of I can find one.... Would people consider 100k to be problematic mileage for a petrol these days?