How others deal with a problem.

jeff oakley

Final day of my holiday in Cyprus. This is in an adults only hotel which is fully inclusive.

So you can imagine how children stick out when there are none about. So one day this week two young kids start running around getting drinks etc. These were found to belong to a young woman of Essex extraction who had camped on a sun bed on the private beach.

She was told to leave and not to return, so next day they arrived again. Cue the Cypriot police who asked her to leave, "you can"t make me" was her reply where upon the officer tipped her off the sun bed on to the floor, dragged her up and marched here and her brood away. No negotiation, no second chance just good old fashioned policing.

Made me smile.

My favourite was when I went to an air show at RAF Mildenhall.  The USAF were in charge of the base of course, so things were run in a very USA way.  Most of the week prior, C-130s had been arriving filled with American food and drink (USA beef, American Coca-Cola, Budweiser, etc. - you know, health food :d ).  There was even a huge burger stand called "SAC Donalds". :laugh:  (SAC = Strategic Air Command)

I arrived and followed verbal instructions and hand signals on parking from the large number of USAF personnel directing traffic - all the parking spaces on the grass had been carefully pre-planned to maximise capacity and traffic flow.  I parked up and the small young USAF lady in her dress uniform smiled and thanked me, all good, all friendly.  But the guy now parking next to me decided he knew better, and didn't follow instructions, leaving his M5 parallel to mine but half a car length back so he could take two spaces, hopped out and locked his car.  Not a good move.

Young lady: "Sir, you need to move your car forward please."

M5 Driver: "No.  I don't want my expensive car jammed in that tight, something might happen to it."

YL: "Sir, your car will be fine.  Please move it forward."

MD: "No - there's plenty of room for all the cars, me taking two spaces isn't a problem."

YL: "Sir, parking layout has been demarcated to maximise capacity, and your car is taking two spots.  You must move your car forward please, sir."

MD: "No - I'm parked there and that is that."

YL, in a very firm voice: "Sir, I am in charge of this area.  You WILL get back in your car and you WILL move it to the prescribed parking space NOW, or I will be forced to move it for you, sir."

MD: "No - it's just a parking spot! I'm leaving!", and walked off.

I stuck around to see what would happen next.  She got on the radio, and within a minute, four USAF MPs showed up.  The young lady took her baton and smashed the driver's window, leaned in and undid the hand brake.  The MPs then pushed his car forward into the space, the hand brake was put back on, and another car directed in behind his.  A note was then left on his windscreen that said, "You were told your car would be moved if you didn't do it as directed, and it was.  As you failed to follow clear instructions given to you on this base by USAF personnel, the US Air Force are not liable for any damages caused by your failure to comply.  Nonetheless, we hope you enjoyed the air show." :laugh:

• Like 1

Did work experience in the construction site office of a new major bank headquarters near Wiesbaden in Germany, many years ago. The plant rooms needed two very tall metal "chimneys" installing, c 50 m, these needed craning in over three above ground storeys and two basement levels. 

The construction company had the tallest mobile crane in Europe booked to come in, set up, and move the stacks into position. Months worth of planning, endless licenses and notifications to official bodies.

The crane would need to park up on the curved main road running parallel to the site, due to the curve, and the rest of the above gound bank complex being five storey, there was one spot where the crane could operate from.

For a month before hand, there were warning notices everywhere of the road closure, the polizei had it plastered with cones and no parking signs for two days before hand.

The day of the job, some plonker has parked right at the apex of the curve in the road, so the main crane can't get in. I forget now what it was costing per hour to hire, but even in the early nineties it was eye watering. Fortunately, main crane, came with a smaller, (but still big) travelling crane, that was used to assemble the big one on site, so the site foreman who was an evil b******* at best, jumped in, got his lads to sling some lifting strops round the car and they moved it a hundred metres down the road.

But the best bit; the access road was nicely tree lined, they found two trees with a gap barely wider than the cars length and dropped it down in there.

The car was still there months later when I left to come back to the UK.

• Like 1

Haha this is how I behave in day to day life :)

What's wrong with that? It's how it should be

At some evening do or other, the same site foreman caught one of his men not just trying to chat up his misses, but not taking no for an answer when the foreman's wife was trying to get rid of the lad. A real hands everywhere job. (He didn't know whose wife it was!)

Next day, foreman wedged a couple of big wooden bolsters under the lads car, in one corner of the yard, put the drivers window through, and filled the inside up with the dregs from one of the many concrete trucks we had doing a constant stream of deliveries. Again, it was still there when I left!

I saw similar in the market square at Croan when the circus was due to arrive. The Gendarme just got a mobile crane, put straps round the car and lifted it out the way. They dropped it between two trees.

Try and keep this short. We had towed an Austin 1100 in from an RTA. It was repaired at the owners expense. He came to collect and offered a cheque. In the interim between towing it in and him collecting it I moved to HO. But I happened to be there the evening he was due to collect. I had got the car blocked in with locked cars. You sometimes get a sixth sense. I refused his cheque and pointed to the sign saying so. He went ballistic complaing I was stelaing his car and he was offereing payment. This went on for a while whereupon he stormed out and went round the corner to the barbers to phone the police. Roy, the barber came running round to tell me. I had offered the chap the phone if he wanted to phone the police but he refused the offer. In a few minutes our mate John a 6' 6" policeman from Tottenham Court Road (a few hundred yards down the road) who popped in every day for a cuppu, arrived. He asked for the customers version of the dispute. He shouted it all. John then turns to me and asks my version. At  no time had either of us acknowledged knowing each other. I say 2 words and the small ginger haired customer starts shouting interruptions,  John turns to him and says does he have anything else to say otherwise could he let me have my say. I start again to be interrupted again. John, again turns to Mr Angry and goes through the same speech but adds on that this is the last time he will accept an interruption. Of course he interrupts a third time whereupon John physically lifts him by the lapels, carries him outside and slams him into the drain pipe by the side of the door. The chap crumples to the floor. After a minute or so he gets up mumbles something, walks to the road and speaks to a lady parked in a Triumph Herald. She gives him something and he comes back in and hand me an envelope with the correct amount of cash.

Sequel was I get a phone call on the Monday morning from him asking for a director and start complaining to me about what had happened. Except his version had me get the mechanics to beat him up and search him for the cash. I had great pleasure in telling him it saw I he had dealt with and if he'd like to put his compaint as just told in writing I'd get our solicitors to deal with it. Never heard from again. 

Some people are not just aware how accomodating our Police are, compared to overseas Forces.

Just remembered another one...

Family friend worked as a soundman, together with his cameraman colleague, as an independent team for hire by news organisations to get action footage, which unsurprisingly took them into some pretty dangerous places around the world.

They were in Beirut in the middle of the crisis that was going on in the 1980s, looking for trouble to film.  They arrived at a quiet-looking street in the centre, guarded by one military man, all of about 18 years old, who stopped them as they tried to walk past:

"Don't walk down there - you'll be shot."

"Really?  Looks awfully quiet to us, nothing to fear.  We just want to take some footage for news reports."

"I'm telling you - if you go down there, you'll be shot."

"Hmmm....well, thanks for the warning, but we need the footage, so we'll be careful and risk it."   So they walked down the street slowly and carefully, ignoring the guard's advice.

After about 50 feet, the cameraman was shot in the leg and fell down in agony.  Our soundman friend looked around, panic-struck, and saw the guard pointing his rifle at them.  Our friend yelled at him, "WHY DID YOU DO THAT?  YOU KNEW THAT WE'RE UNARMED!"

The young guard replied in a very matter-of-fact voice, slightly incredulous at how dumb they both were, "I warned you - if you go down there, you'll be shot."

Cameraman made a full recovery, but they both learned a lesson about making assumptions and taking advice.

We were on the Paris metro and got off the train at Opera. Along the platform were 6 crs gendarmes, black everything with truncheons drawn. They had stopped a pickpocket and set about hitting him around the head with truncheons. He fell to the floor where they kicked him around the head and chest. He was unconconsious when two of the crs chaps took one arm each and dragged him along the platform and up the stairs. His head hit every step. When at street level 4 of them took an arm and leg each and threw him into the back of a van. Not sure if he went to hospital, the morgue or police station.

Final day of my holiday in Cyprus. This is in an adults only hotel which is fully inclusive.

So you can imagine how children stick out when there are none about. So one day this week two young kids start running around getting drinks etc. These were found to belong to a young woman of Essex extraction who had camped on a sun bed on the private beach.

She was told to leave and not to return, so next day they arrived again. Cue the Cypriot police who asked her to leave, "you can"t make me" was her reply where upon the officer tipped her off the sun bed on to the floor, dragged her up and marched here and her brood away. No negotiation, no second chance just good old fashioned policing.

Made me smile.

they should do that with pikeys

We were on the Paris metro and got off the train at Opera. Along the platform were 6 crs gendarmes, black everything with truncheons drawn. They had stopped a pickpocket and set about hitting him around the head with truncheons. He fell to the floor where they kicked him around the head and chest. He was unconconsious when two of the crs chaps took one arm each and dragged him along the platform and up the stairs. His head hit every step. When at street level 4 of them took an arm and leg each and threw him into the back of a van. Not sure if he went to hospital, the morgue or police station.

thats just not really on tho. im all for reasonable force and think that the whole kid glove thing is wrong but that sounded like a beating that was not needed.

Dom, I understand what you're saying but I guess that he was being caught on a regular basis. The way to avoid it would be to stop pick-pocketing.

Funny thing was when we got to street level HM went for her cigarettes (she smoked then) and they'd been .... pick-pocketed. I just laughed out loud.