Self cancelling indicator switch/module

Rob55

Looking for a self cancelling indicator switch and module, any out there? Westfield's own looks the business..

Didn't know Westfield did one of these, I wonder how it works?

I am in the middle of designing a circuit which will count the number of flashes (say, 20) and then activate a buzzer in time with the flashing as a reminder to cancel.

I have westfields cancelling timer that stops flashing after about 10-20 seconds. It's ok but does become a pain when stopped at a junction as I keep needing to press it again

Yep, all the commercially available ones I've found actually for sale are the same. Flash for a fixed number of flashes and stop. Some of them allow you to press and hold the indicator switch for different lengths of time to vary the number of flashes you get before its cancelled. (ie brief press gives three flashes, hold down a bit longer gives 20m seconds etc)

There was an American guy on the Atom forums who had made a cracking little box that combined the ability to press briefly for a quick lane change three flash burst or press a bit longer, and the indicators flashed till cancelled by turning the steering wheel. Unfortunately, though he was planning on making them up in small batches and selling them, it's all gone quiet now.

A few members have come up with their own circuits offering different variations on the self cancelling, but so far all the ones I've seen have been timer based.

It's part of what I'm trying to do with a little Arduino controller, using magnets on the column and a reed switch, to give me the cancelled signal from the steering wheel, but just don't have much time to spend on it.

I have westfields cancelling timer that stops flashing after about 10-20 seconds. It's ok but does become a pain when stopped at a junction as I keep needing to press it again

That's how it works then.

I did consider that sort of design but wondered whether it would be road-legal and also, as you say, the pain of having to re-engage in certain situations.

• Like 1

I did a bulk buy on an American self cancelling unit operated by two (Right and Left) touch buttons. It's about the size of a credit card but a bit thicker. 3 duration's. I've never used the long one.

I use indicators as I would use hand signals. Signal my intention and then switch them off (or let them cancel).I only use indicators when turning off T junctions etc, rarely to overtake and never at roundabouts. The position of the car should tell others where you're going.

It is called Signal Dynamics and the fitting instructions are about halfway down THIS PAGE I don't think they're available in the UK, I bought them direct from a dealer at a much reduced price for the volume.

I did once toy with the idea that you could put a  "cam"  and micro switch on the bottom of the steering column that would sense when the steering column returned to centre and use this to stop a flasher curcuit , but that's as far as I got - should be doable tho...

i went for the buzzer relay...£16 quid . not too loud but loud enough and never forget to turn em off anymore..linky

Just found out not needed for IVA - therefore no longer needed at all lol

I had a hire car with the indicators that gave three flashes for a quick touch and self cancelled if pressed harder. Thought it was a good idea at the time.

I thought self cancelling indicators worked through a trigger on the back of a steering wheel? Where there's a small rod that hits the self cancel switch. There's also timer ones mentioned above. I have a little green light at top of dash that flashes while indicators are on and had seven's as daily drives for about four years now, so used to it.

Depends what you are talking about, OEM self cancelling indicators always used to use a little mechanical switch arrangement, much  as you say. A mechanical peg in the boss at the top of the column would trip  switches when the wheel was turned beyond a certain amount left or right.

Go back far enough, and I seem to recall this just being a mechanical release device that allowed the indicator stalk to return back to it's central position, from it's latched up/down, left/right signalling position.

I don't recall seeing any aftermarket indicator switches that self cancelled in this way, but they may exist.

These days, on production cars, it's typically just another input to the body control computer, just like the indicator stalk simply provides an electronic input to the computer.

Yes Dave,

That's what I was describing. I had issues with it on a late 80's mini and repaired it. I know there's very electronically minded people here that may be able to rig a similar system. As I said, I just turn mine off. But someone, may of been you Dave, suggested a steering wheel with all switches mounted on that.

Just thought of a Morris minor I had, indicator stalk had a red flashing light on it! Think most of my other 70's and 80's cars had self cancel of some form.

i thought that was part of the fun driving a westfield always turning left !!!

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.