Is business that good.

Norman Verona

Last week I emailed two online sellers.

Yet to receive an answer from either.

Is business that good that can ignore sales enquiries.

I guess it it, I spoke to 2 garages to get valuation for px on 35k cars and neither bothered to get back to me.

Their loss in the end though

Jacko, that's about normal for dealers. They were too busy complaining how bad business is.

I used to despair over car salesman. I had two who lifted their heads out of page 3 when a builder, in torn and cement splattered jeans and hob nail boots walked into the showroom, then carried on looking at the delights on page 3. As I was passing through I approached and asked if I could help. He bought the most expensive used car we'd ever had. A one year old Merc 280C (this was a while ago). Paid with a carrier bag full of used banknotes.

I won't tell you what I said when the two lazy gits queried why they didn't get commission.

Jacko, that's about normal for dealers. They were too busy complaining how bad business is.

I used to despair over car salesman. I had two who lifted their heads out of page 3 when a builder, in torn and cement splattered jeans and hob nail boots walked into the showroom, then carried on looking at the delights on page 3. As I was passing through I approached and asked if I could help. He bought the most expensive used car we'd ever had. A one year old Merc 280C (this was a while ago). Paid with a carrier bag full of used banknotes.

I won't tell you what I said when the two lazy gits queried why they didn't get commission.

I had exactly the same experience with my late dad over 20 years ago. My dad had his own groundworks business and was interested in the "new" frontera 4x4 that vauxhall had just brought out. One Saturday after work  dressed in his work attire he went into the dealership that I worked for (I worked in IT for them) wandered around their new shiny 4x4 and a salesmen looked up went over and almost said to him that he couldn't afford it. The salesman took his details (for when they get some 2nd hand ones in!) and when he told the salesname his name he said ah we have a lad here with that surname funny coincidence! (my dad was indignant at this point and was trying to politely get out). My dad then went off and bought a Merc G Wagen (brand new) instead. One day I brought his car into work as mine was being serviced and the same salesman wandered over to me in the car park commenting on how nice it looked. I then recalled the story to him and the look on his face was priceless!

I went to a different dealer and bought jag xf sport brake instead.

I went to a different dealer and bought jag xf sport brake instead.

How do you rate it Jacko? will be considering that when it is time to change my current tin top

My Grandpa used to say it takes a rich man to wear an old coat, on the other hand my most annoying regular experience used to be pulling up outside a garage or a shop on a bike worth about £10k wearing another £1k worth of protective clothing and being looked at like the worst of Harry Enfield characters. :arse:  :arse:  :arse:

How do you rate it Jacko? will be considering that when it is time to change my current tin top

It's brilliant. I've just changed from top of range BMW 535 so there's couple of little things it hasn't got, I looked and couldn't justify one with the extra toys, there things I will only notice first couple of times then be ok.

Ride is much better than the bm, no stupid run flats.

Inside is comfier and its lovely to drive feel is good, pulls well and I've gone from 340 bhp to 170 difference in fuel consumption is noticed!!

Most important bit is rotating vents and pop up gear selector- them in itself are worth the money!!

• Like 1

worth about £10k wearing another £1k worth of protective clothing and being looked at like the worst of Harry Enfield characters.

Not surprised, How much for a bike! When I was a lad, bikes were poor peoples transport. And if you had kids you'd have a sidecar. Then along came the Reliant Robin.

So were kit cars Norman, a C******m 7 CRS is now over £45k, probably a Aerial 4 square or a Calthorpe with a chair was equally as exciting ( mostly out of control ) in the 1950s, I had a Royal Enfield Bullet 500 twin then, it' still made in India. 

Mine was made in 1989 and I bought it in 1992. It was £13,000 when new, the most expensive 7 made at the time. I bought it from Paul Matty who wanted £13,995 and I offered them £13,000 with no warranty, I'd drive it away and they'd never see me again.

At one time it was valued for agreed valuation at £30,000, guess I could have sold it for £25,000. No idea what it's worth now but probably not sell it but pass it on the our grandchild.

Norman

Things are that bad I still have two sidecar outfits for the family !

I have a 56 BSA Goldflash with a single seat Watsonian Avon sports chair and a 66 Panther 650 single with a single seat Watsonian Grand Prix sidecar, both are currently in storage I don't ride much these days.

Yesterday I moved some bikes around and brought my 71 Norton Commando Fastback home and might manage to rattle the neighbours windows before the summer is over.

Need to sort out a full time job and get some tokens to be able to spend on projects.

Not surprised, How much for a bike! When I was a lad, bikes were poor peoples transport. And if you had kids you'd have a sidecar. Then along came the Reliant Robin.

Don't forget the Bond 3 wheeler Norm - the one that you had to climb into the bonnet to kickstart.  And, of course, the bubble cars.

Yes, remember them.

When I was running a small service station near Tottenham Court Rd, we had an old dear who had a Heinkel bubble car. She parked the car in the garage. Every night and every morning we would pick it up and carry it over the railings at the side as we didn't have room on the forecourt. When she died I found out that during the war she was "C"'s personal assistant.

Good bikes are not cheap Norman, back in 1995 I paid £14700 for a superbike and £1200 for all the protective clothing.