Bitter aftertaste

dombanks

Hot on the heels of norms apples I'm wondering if anyone can explain a bitter aftertaste I'm getting in my soup...

It's courgette and mint. Pretty easy really: soften onion and garlic; add a whole bunch of courgette. Soften these. Add stock (veg) mint and zest of lemon. Simmer, blitz, and eat.

So it's fine and the mint courgette gives a delicate flavour but then about 20 seconds later you get a quite bitter astringent aftertaste...

Any ideas? I was wondering if I got some seeds in with the mint (it was a bit old) or a bit of rind from the Lemon.

I could cure it with salt but I think it would destroy the main taste...

Hit in the heels of norms apples I'm wondering if anyone can explain a bitter aftertaste I'm getting in my soup...

It courgette and mint. Pretty easy really soften onion garlic, add a while bunch if courgette. Soften these. Add stock (veg) mint and zest of lemon. Simmer blitz eat.

So it's fine and the mint courgette gives a delicate flavour but then about 20s later you get a quite bitter astringent aftertaste...

Any ideas? Wondering if I got done seeds in with the mint (it was a bit old) or a bit of rind from the Lemmon.

I could cure it with salt but I think it would destroy the main taste...

???

Officer Crabtree, I've found your long-lost brother! :d. ;)

Oh Jesus ... I hate posting on this phone ... Let me get a laptop and do some correcting...

EDT: better? PC grammar... its about as good as you'll get this time of night.. :)

I thought they were alcohol induced errors and due to some cider!

That's mooch bitter, thonk you vary mooch! New I can understood it! :d

(maybe) hic but ive only had 4 bottles so not so bad. more just my ham-fisted use of an iphone.

the pea chard lettuce and lemon soup is much better

Jesus H! is this a car club or Delia Smiths problem column.

• Like 1

it's the courgette they have a bitter after taste ,,,,,,

Minesapint, it's whatever you want it to be. Apples, soup, how to clean a toilet, oh, no that one was on the darkside.

Not all courgettes have this bitterness - it depends on the variety and growing conditions.

However, it can be reduced.

method 1 - the courgette skin is often the bitterest part. Try partially scraping the skin off before cooking.

method 2 - slice the courgesttes as normal, then leave in a pan with a liberal quantity of salt. Leave for 10 minutes, then rinse very thoroughly in cold water - as cold as possible. This method also works if you have bitter aubergines.

The soup sounds good, by the way!

Since HM got a soup maker we had soup every day! I had to suggest we tried something else. During the summer we're on salads.

I'll suggest courgette and mint soup , we have lots of wild mint.

We have a soup maker as well  --   the daughter.

Not all courgettes have this bitterness - it depends on the variety and growing conditions.

However, it can be reduced.

method 1 - the courgette skin is often the bitterest part. Try partially scraping the skin off before cooking.

method 2 - slice the courgesttes as normal, then leave in a pan with a liberal quantity of salt. Leave for 10 minutes, then rinse very thoroughly in cold water - as cold as possible. This method also works if you have bitter aubergines.

The soup sounds good, by the way!

Daughter says as above and thinks it's an odd ingredient for a soup. over cooking also make them bitter.