Petrol

Young Pretender

Is this b*****k* still doing the rounds?! Hopefully the parent or carer of whoever wrote has take their keyboard away and put it in a safe place along with the scissors.

Depends what your engine's mapped to use.

well said dave.

lets have another post to talk about the supermarket vs brand vs higher octane debate, please do, its not tiresome at all. did you know if you put a quart of acetone in it will double your performance too!

thing is even if it was totally legit dont the supers just buy their fuel on some sort of open market from the likes of bp shell etc. I read somewhere (so its probably hearsay) that this is where the brand guys sell off their older stuff anyway hence the sometimes odd results from the supers with octane rates etc.

When I was running forecourts the supermarkets were buying it direct from the refinery using there own tankers. It was exactly the same fuel as the majors supplied to the independents.

May have changed now.

When I was running forecourts the supermarkets were buying it direct from the refinery using there own tankers. It was exactly the same fuel as the majors supplied to the independents.

May have changed now.

There may be a modest difference in the additives though Norman?

Of course, they used to be added to the tanker after loading. Not sure about now.

On the plus side the throughput at the supermarket is so high you're always getting fresh fuel. 

May have changed now.

Can't name names, but at least one of them now has a 100% supply deal with a major oil company.  Don't know if there is any difference in additives.

I'm not surprised, why shouldn't the oil companies sell in bulk to one customer who provides the transport and can pay. We weer a 100% rated company and we got 1 months credit from Texaco. We were the only independent to get credit, all the others had the money taken as a DD before delivery.

In my day the margin was about 3d a gallon, I guess it's about 9p now, not much but look at the volume.

Depends what your engine's mapped to use.

My Skoda Octavia states must only use ordinary  unleaded 95 RON whoever he is ?   :t-up:

Ron, some bloke who sticks his name on the petrol pumps.

My Skoda Octavia states must only use ordinary unleaded 95 RON whoever he is ? :t-up:

Over 95 would be fine. Probably pointless. They just assumed that because you bought a Skoda you're a bit tight and might bung some 91 RON fuel in if you found any :p;)

Over 95 would be fine. Probably pointless. They just assumed that because you bought a Skoda you're a bit tight and might bung some 91 RON fuel in if you found any :p;)

Not a bit tight 

I am fully tight when it comes to throwing my hard earned at the rip off motor industry , and because car A costs thousands more that car B doesn't garantee its a better car 

Can't fault the Skoda which I've owned 2 years now from new plus I bought it for a song  :t-up:

I'd definitely consider a cheap Skoda once my current BMW shed expires. It's not like VW build quality is something special over and above. My Dads new Golf came with leather door cards on one side and cloth on the other!

The big oil companies refine and retail their fuels in house and have better control of fuel quality at the pump, although that is now changing due to the demise of refining in the UK and fuel is starting to be shipped in ready for the garage pumps.

Supermarkets and other smaller petrol outlets have always bought their fuels on the open market and have them shipped in to bulk terminals where they are distributed by another tanker company or the big supermarkets have their own tanker fleet now. 

3 such bulk terminals exist in Essex at Canvey Island, Grays and Coryton and supply the Southern part of the England.

All the fuel retailers use one or all of these terminals.

There is no allegiance to one bulk terminal by one retailer, they often change round determined by the wholesale cost,  Each retailer will specify it's own fuel addtives as the fuel is loaded into the road tankers.  

As so many different companies are involved in the supply of fuels to supermarkets and independent retailers the quality of fuels delivered into our cars is not as consistent as it with the major fuel companies, you may remember 3 years ago when Tesco were selling petrol contaminated with water and other substances, this was traced to the bulk terminal in Grays where storage tanks were not flushed correctly prior to storing petrol.    These type of events will most probably happen again as Retailers and distribution companies constantly seek cost cutting measures.