Petrol

Young Pretender

I got the following email today. Not sure if its a new idea but seems like a workable one?

"We are hitting £1.42 a litre in some areas now and soon we will be faced with paying £1.50 per litre. So here’s the idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign' that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't contin...ue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS - not sellers control the market place. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one) i.e. ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to ten people. The person who sent it to me also sent it to 29 other people. If all of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 100) it will have reached 300...and if those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on. By the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all YOU have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (and not buy at ESSO/BP). How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell,Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet etc.

i.e. Boycott Bp & esso "

• Like 1

An interesting take on it. 

For me.

As the duty per litre is greater than what the fuel companies charge and then that is then subject to VAT, its the Government who makes the substantial slice of our current fuel charges. Any substantial reduction in fuel charges would IMO lead to an increase in duty to offset that. So the price wouldn't change.

Alternative fuels seem the only true way of getting the price down to create a more competitive market, in the short term. As for the long term I'm sure we'll get boned again.

Or i could be talking rubbish.

Sean.

This has gone round t'internet many time, it's all bollix as 80% of the price is government taxes so thinking you'll ever have an effect on OPEC is just laughable :sheep:

In fact anything on t'internet that says "send this to 10/20/30 people / everyone you know as it will make a difference" is all bollix too

Nooooo!   :cry:

I share the sentiment but I really wish people wouldn't start circulating chain letters/emails... the maths outlined in the note is deeply flawed as it assumes that no recipient will receive it twice.  Yet the reality is that I'll end up with 100+ copies to delete...

What happens if you don't have any friends to send emails to    :down:

send it to Terry, his email address is in post #2 above  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Waste of time. The people to target are those you elected to look after your interests.

But they won't listen, because they're working too hard screwing up our health service, our education service, our police service, our benefits and everything else they can get their grubby mits on.

OK, feel better now.

As an aside fuel is not much cheaper here, but diesel  is less than petrol. If the French thought it was too high they would be rioting in the streets and their not.

Well Esso and BP aren't the same company for a start. 

Where do people think that the hypers get their product from? Refine it themselves behind the bakery section?

Petrol is 1.57 and at today exchange that's 1.31

So using my 5p. a litre discount, It the same price in France as the UK now.

Funny enough fuel is one thing I don't mind being expensive because it is a finite scarce resource that we should use sparingly,

What I do object to is:

silly tax disc banding based on CO2

that more of the money collected is not invested back into roads

Seen it before. Was told someone from shell made it up to boost their sales!

I only use shell v-power or BP ultima. It only cost about 5p more a litre (give/take), 25 litres to a tank (roughly to make math easy), so £1.25 more for a tank!!! So less than the cost of one litre. Then tank range on morrisons petrol for M5 at 65mph was av of 117miles over 3 tanks, esso 126 miles, shell v-power was 163 and I felt much better throttle response, BP ultima was 172 miles. In each test I used same fuel for a week pre test, drove Birmingham-Plymouth-Birmingham-Plymouth. Then I'd use another fuel to get back to Birmingham and keep to that fuel until next test complete. This would give time for other fuel to be well clear and any advantage/disadvantage of previous fuel.

Take on the challenge, use V-Power or Ultima for a month and see if there's a difference. I'm also sure that long term your engine will be more reliable and better.

No wait for someone to shoot my theory down!

Depends what your engine's mapped to use.