Picking up my first Westi tomorrow

johnbmaximus

Hi ,  I'm a new member live North Wales and joined the club last week.

Got some great help and support from the AO Mark,  in deciding the car to buy, eventually decided and picking  up from Aberdeen tomorrow am.

Was reading some threads on tyre pressure, and was surprised to learn the recommended range for 15" wheels to be between 15 and 18 psi..

The reason I was checking is that I'm driving the car back from Aberdeen tomorrow and wanted to make sure the pressure's were correct.

Can anyone help ?.

Hope the weather's going to be kind, looking forward (won't sleep tonight ) to my first drive in my new Westi.

Thanks all, very best regards

John (johnbmaximus)

Yep for the average car engined Westfield weighing in at 550 - 650 kg on performance or trackday rubber, those figures work well. 18 psi is probably the most common...

(That said, mine weighs a little short of 600 kg, is on 195/50 15" Toyo R1R's and likes to be at 17 psi all round.)

So eventually, a little experimentation will pay dividends, but for the moment, I'd just try 17 or 18 psi.

Firstly welcome John, this is a great club and you'll love westie ownership.

I have 15's currently fitted and placed 18psi to start with and found the ride a bit to firm, I'm now down to 16psi and personally find this to be perfect but you will need to experiment starting off at 18psi and adjust accordingly.

Have a safe trip and most importantly enjoy it.

Sorry, where are my manners; welcome to the club!

It's a good ole trip for your first one, but it makes it a nice memorable way to begin Westfield motoring. :yes::d:westy:

As your first trip will be a long motorway one, I'd suggest the 18 psi end of the range.

Once you have a chance to get used to the car a bit is the ideal time to start experimenting. (Some tyres have much stiffer side walls than others, Toyo R888's for example, so a little care needs to be taken as not everyone's settings will "transfer" directly and give the same results! ;) )

Welcome from another relative newbie John................strange thing is I drove my car from Hemel Hempstead all the way to Aberdeen just a few weeks ago !!! One up now one down !!! You will enjoy the drive I did awesome fun ............take plenty cash for fuel stops LOL 

Welcome to the madhouse

Have a look at the event we are having on Anglesey in Sept which should be great

Welcome from another North Wales Westi owner if you need any help just give us a shout :)

As Terry says Anglesey sprint is a great event and I've heard there is a paraded lap being arranged for the Sunday for a Westi photo shoot

Looks a bit like rain tomorrow !!!!!!

2 free laps of the track in convoy at 60mph max and free camping and spectating for Sat and Sun at the circuit

There will be quite a lot of Westfield sprint cars there and its a good craic

Dont bother asking cos its personal preference unless you are sprinting etc

Use 18psi as advised earlier which will be fine for motorway or other roads

Thanks all, and thanks for the welcome. Your help has been invaluable.

When I asked the owner, he said he uses "normal pressure 26 psi", at the time I did n't think that to be unusual as I run my road car around that.

I read here on the site and soon learnt that did n't seem right hence my post.  Car fitted with 195/50 15" Toyo R1R's

Going to follow your advice, start at 18psi and adjust based on feedback.

Thanks again great site, great cars and even greater members.

Enjoy your first drive home; whatever the weather you're gonna LOVE IT  :cool:  My first drive in mine was 250 miles home through rain, hail and sunshine and it was bl**** great

Welcome :yes:

The point is that tyre pressure is approximately variable by weight to keep the contact patch correct.  High pressure in a lightweight car will reduce the contact patch.

HTH - Rory's Dad

All part of the fun of ownership and the glorious bank of memories you can build!

Have fun, take it steady and before anyone else says it; we love pictures!