Bucket seats

RoboS

Hi

I have a Westy V8 with the existing Cobra seats being in a fixed position.

Unfortunately I have smaller legs than the last guy, and as I would like some new seats, what would be the best choice and can I get them with an adjust slide rail to suit?

Its not that easy to move the seat forward, there is insufficient room!

Thanks

Moved this into Newbies for you, its not really a FAQ, and here you'll stand a far better chance of getting the answers you need.

You can get seats with adjusters built in. But you can also get just the adjuster rails on their own too.

Am I understanding you right, the Cobra seats you have would have insufficient room to slide forwards, even if they could? So you need a narrower seat?

Thanks

Yes the seats are too wide, and as  the seats are a bit damaged i would prefer to change the seat and get a adjustable rail with it.

I  was wondering it i needed a special adjuster so it doesnt foul the square cross member

The ones Westfield use on their seats are quite flat/low profile, and don't have a particularly long adjuster lever sticking out the front, but that's really it design wise. It's a while now since I had any fitted, but O don't recall them sliding forward enough to be an issue with the cross member.

Some of the aftermarket rails might be, if the adjuster lever sticks too far out at the front.

Your choice may well be a little limited if you want a narrower style padded seat. Otherwise, if you're after a set of the (very comfortable) shell type grp or carbon fibre seats, then companies like JK composites do a really wide range of widths and I'm sure you'd find something suitable.

I'm not so tall either.  I found a Caterham seat, including the runners, on Ebay.  It's quite comfortable. Much better than the bench seat that came with the car.

Geoff

Good evening,

If you look at after market classic mini seats (mine were cobra classic buckets) they have the same low profile slide rail as used in the Westfield.

http://www.minisport.com/cobsubfr07-cobra-seat-runners-pair.html

Even says can be used in kit cars.

Then I would get your seats stripped, narrow the divers seat at the bottom, re pad and re upholster to the style and colour of your choice.

Could get dash re trimmed to match at the same time.

Forgot to say, in my Robin Hood, pre Westfield, I had fixed seats and my legs were shorter than the 6ft2 previous owner. Seats were just 4 holes in the floor and easy to move forward.

Recommend JK Composites.

39cm width

Very comfy

Look brill

And go far enough forward for my vertically challenged SWMBO.

But get down to your local meet and try a few out.

Yep, try a few out, you really need to sit in them and find the right one for yourself..  You can buy 2 GRP seats for about £170 on Ebay or up to £1000 for nice carbon ones, quite a range available.

Find the right GRP ones and they are really comfy, even though they don't look the part.  Big guys like me seem to favour the JK seats and they are they are quite laid back, if you know what I mean.

Recommend JK Composites.

39cm width

Very comfy

Look brill

And go far enough forward for my vertically challenged SWMBO.

But get down to your local meet and try a few out.

+1 re JK Composites but definitely try a few out. Getting along to local meets and blagging a few passengers rides is a good way of 'shopping around'. :t-up:  Also, remember that by adding runners, you increase the height and your driving position will be different, if that makes sense. My seats (JKs) are bolted to the floor and when I ride in my mate's westy (Westfield 'clubman' style seats on runners), I feel elevated .. although my A*** is still only inches off the road! :d

Edit: A*** got through the profanity filter! A***, A***, A***, A*** .. .. .. .. .. A***! :p

Edited by bombero

Who are you calling an A***? :)

• Like 1

Im going to Donnington, a good place to view i guess!!