I feel such a fool.

Norman Verona

I was looking for something in my spares cupboard and found a Maglite torch. Brought it in and put two batteries in it. Comes on, seems bright enough.

But how do you turn it off.

It has a screw base with a spring inside to make contact with the batteries. The shiny end turns for focus and, if taken off, has no contact with the battery.

I'm not going to let this beat me.

Or am I?

I have! It is fully turned in.

Anyway, it's sorted now. I took the lens adjuster off and under that, where the bulb goes through is a piece that says "DO NOT REMOVE" so I removed it and underneath is a plastic part that makes contact with the battery. There is a piece of braided wire wound round and one part goes through and is the top contact to the battery. The other end was loose. I re-positioned the wire and refitted it all and now have a dead short (case is getting warm) but not light. 

As I say, it's all sorted now and it resides in the bin.

• Like 1

Shame that... I collect maglites not officially, but seem to have collected enough to have them in tool boxes, glove boxes, boot boxes, on top of door frames in the house and in camping/military kit.

Cracking torches! Especially the AA one's, with the LED upgrade and push button upgrade! :laugh: