hayelp anyone know about electric motors/ 3phase

SteveD

i have a 3 phase motor on my booth extraction fan ,today it tripped the switch which has a thermal trip so after a minute or so i turn it back on then it goes again but will not turn back on,so i check the motor which is that hot you cannot touch it , anyway it turns out its shagged

so i fit a spare motor and it works fine for a few minutes then that trips a few times and is red hot  ,so i give up for the day

anyone any ideas please , i have been told there maybe a phase down but all my equipment seems to work ,the workshop next door there lights would not turn on ,on friday do you think this could be linked and there maybe a phase down ,im a total electrical numpty so any help appreciated

• Like 1

One phase being out could certainly result in a motor burning out. The fact that next door's lights don't work also suggests a dead phase.

Three phase is far more dangerous than single phase mains - can you get a friendly sparks in to run a meter over the incoming feed to check? It could be something very cheap to fix but it could cause BIG problems if ignored.

yeh cheers wuv marshall is popping around tomorrow to have a look , its just my experience of a phase going down at the old place the compressor wouldnt work or the booth

Typically you would meter out the phases with an AC voltmeter. Also check the switchgear as it isnt unknown for one contactor to fail. However this is three phase with 415V between phases so if you dunno get in a sparky and avoid killing yourself. Typically you should have your single phase rings / devices balanced across the phases but in a small unit this probably isnt the case.

In our offices we have 3ph auto start generators, UPS and switchover gear. We get quite a few generator run ups because a single phase has failed at the supply. Modern incoming switchgear has a indicator on each phase.

cheers wuv , just had it checked and it has 3 phase coming in ok and 3 phase going out of the board ok so looks like its internal so maybe its the switch on the booth as the rest is just cable ,time will tell when me dad turns up in the morning ,its been a mad week so far and very trying ,parts not turning up because delivery drivers couldnt be arsed dropping the parts off even though they were supposed to be out yesterday and were on the van , booth f***** up ,customers not turning up ,ex partners mate turning up with tractor bits for me to paint ,another one of his mates bringing me his car and some more panels ,strange times very strange

Don't use a cheap AC volts meter to test across two phase @ 415v :devil:

Get a sparks in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is precious :(

Don't use a cheap AC volts meter to test across two phase @ 415v :devil:

Get a sparks in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is precious :(

i did wuv ,scottish power