What's the downside of owning a field?

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

There is a reform of CAP subsidies coming though. 2015 I think.

Nice idea to buy the land next to you. If you do make sure you protect the access as travellers of allsorts like a bit flat ground to park their caravans, just locking the gate is not enough these days.

Good call. I remember the horse set going on about this with the ex. They used to just get a load of rubble type stuff put in the gateway.

Well chaps, I shall speak to the agent on Monday and see what sort of money they're expecting. That might put the kybosh on the whole idea - who knows? Thanks again to all for the input. :)

MOTC0 - I would expect £10,000 to £20,000 per acre 

Really! It's only 4.04 acres, it's sloping, there's a pylon on it, it's impenetrably overgrown, it's green belt (planners say there is zero chance of development as the law stands), it's in AONB, there's no services. I was going to start at £4k and be prepared for £5k per acre, no more. My reasoning is that it is too small to be worthwhile for farming, and it is separate from any other land owned by a farmer so he'd have to travel to it. If not sold 'off the page, as it were, beforehand, it is going to be offered as part of a larger lot - the other area is probably 3x this one, nearer level, and clear of any scrub and has been arable. It seemed to me that this plot (the 4 acres) would drag the value of the whole down per acre and would be far more likely to achieve a worthwhile sale value on its own. My plot is the only one adjoining it that would feasibly want it. Okay, I may be in cloud-cuckoo land ,and I am sure the agent will try for the sort of figure you suggest, but there's a limited market I suspect.

we have 18 acres of grass, agric tie on planning, one road gate, all sloping, valued at £340,000 with barns on it - no residential potential... you may be right but in Northants - 4 acres would go for £40k to £65k easily with a road frontage 

Alexander, thanks for that! :(

I shall let you know what the agent says tomorrow, if I can get hold of him.

Really! It's only 4.04 acres, it's sloping, there's a pylon on it, it's impenetrably overgrown, it's green belt (planners say there is zero chance of development as the law stands), it's in AONB, there's no services. I was going to start at £4k and be prepared for £5k per acre, no more. My reasoning is that it is too small to be worthwhile for farming, and it is separate from any other land owned by a farmer so he'd have to travel to it. 

Small parcels of amenity woodland often go for more than that... and AONB would be very attractive to a lot of people, especially if there was some way to get water onsite.

Well the agent is starting at £15k/acre  :durr:

I said that whilst i am interested in buying in principle, it would have to be a hell of a lot cheaper than that! The agent is already offering more desirable land (flat and pasture) for £10/acre or even a tad less.  :sheep:

Well the agent is starting at £15k/acre  :durr:

I said that whilst i am interested in buying in principle, it would have to be a hell of a lot cheaper than that! The agent is already offering more desirable land (flat and pasture) for £10/acre or even a tad less.  :sheep:

The chance to buy land right next to you may only come once in a lifetime. In my experience, land and houses always seem too expensive at the time, but in five years time you will be kicking yourself if you didn't buy it.

Don't like fields to the north, don't like ones to the south either, ones on the east aren't much to shout about but the ones on the west - like those!

Edited to add - don't like north-fields, don't like south-fields, don't like east-fields but do like 'west'-fields :)

It's to the north. And at the price they seem to expect it will remain in the north and in the ownership of someone else! I understand and agree with "...you won't regret it..." but there's a limit to how much one can shell out!