What's the downside of owning a field?

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

I have put this question on PH already and had some interesting replies. So I thought that the combined wisdom of the WSCC massive should be sought too! :) Here's the post copied and pasted:

The field next to my house is for sale and I would like to own it only so as to ensure its future as a piece of empty land. It is about four acres, in green belt and AONB. There's a 132Kv pylon on it and it is bounded by a public road on one side, an unadopted track on another, and fields where it doesn't abut my plot. it is sloping and heavily overgrown to the point that you cannot easily walk across it in summer. I estimate it is at the bottom end of values for agricultural land in the Chilterns, and shouldn't cost too many arms and legs to buy. However, what are the ongoing liabilities (hedge management on the roads for example, etc.) that have to be factored in? Does it attract council tax and stamp duty? 

Quietly check out the situation with the lease/access to the pylon.

Friends of ours did very nicely out of a fixed term lease expiring: they told National Grid to remove the pylon... didn't take long for a new lease to be agreed that reflected the value of that particular pylon.

Aha! I gather that they have a shortish life, these wayleave agreements. Worth a look certainly, thanks. :)

Ditto on the pylon wayleave - they can be very profitable if it isn't already tied up on a long term arrangement with the present owner.

Being overgrown isn't a problem - either get a couple of pigs (you may need smallholders rights though) or just start to plant some trees if you don't want to use it for anything other than 'amenity'.

If its at the right price I would definitely go for it - its rare that land goes down in value.

If its AONB its unlikely you will ever get PP for anything - but then, that's probably an advantage anyway.

Good luck!

Dave.

Aha! I gather that they have a shortish life, these wayleave agreements. Worth a look certainly, thanks. :)

No problem... as I say, do it quietly (i.e. as part of reviewing the site documents as a whole), to avoid tipping off the current owner that there might be a pot of gold that he's neglected to factor in to his price.

A lot of investigating to do then. Will it attract stamp duty or council tax? ???

Thanks chaps. :t-up:

Googling has revealed that neither council tax nor stamp duty (sub-£150,000) will be involved. 

I know nobody's interested but in France area's of agriculture are governed by the ministry of agriculture. In this area land is priced at 2,000€ per hectre. Planning permission to build a house is available an doesn't affect the price. But tax is payable on land, unless you use it for agriculture.

I had to explain that to Brit who had paid 16,000€ for 1/3rd of an acre! He thought the British estate agent was fantastic until everyone told him the chap was a crook. I worked out it was valued at £600 when he purchased and we got 1.48 € to the pound.

Only things I can think of are drainage - does it or could run off onto the adopted road? Hedges are no problem, farmer would to it for you once a year. If its agric land you can put up all sorts of erm agric buildings too ;)

MOTCO - we have 18 acres in Northants, it's grassland and covered under the grassland area payment scheme so it has to stay as grassland for the foreseeable future (5 years).  Hedge trimming will be about £35 and hour and you should do 2,000m in a day 3 sides taking off less than 3 years growth. 

Topping will be about £20 an acre and spraying for weeds (notifiable ones mainly) allow £180/acre each year _ or get some sheep on it.

best way to keep grass and have it earn you some money is grazing for horses if you put a field shelter on the land and let in on a graziers license at £25/horse/week.....at a rate of 1 horse/per acre it might cover it's costs at least.....

Happy to discuss anytime if you need some help - James 

• Like 1

MOTCO - we have 18 acres in Northants, it's grassland and covered under the grassland area payment scheme so it has to stay as grassland for the foreseeable future (5 years).  Hedge trimming will be about £35 and hour and you should do 2,000m in a day 3 sides taking off less than 3 years growth. 

Topping will be about £20 an acre and spraying for weeds (notifiable ones mainly) allow £180/acre each year _ or get some sheep on it.

best way to keep grass and have it earn you some money is grazing for horses if you put a field shelter on the land and let in on a graziers license at £25/horse/week.....at a rate of 1 horse/per acre it might cover it's costs at least.....

Happy to discuss anytime if you need some help - James 

Thanks James, and everybody else too. My neighbour is a livery stables owner and she says it would be hard to make it suitable for equestrian use and would be much more expensive if it weren't. The information is terrific, thanks - I will try to negotiate a good deal and then it will remain as a wilderness for the future.  :t-up:

Wilderness - read "habitat value" - if you are on the chilterns and you have a chalk geology you might be able to get grants for leaving it alone as unimproved grassland - ADAS could help (or whatever it's called now - Natural England perhaps - they have loads of bunnie huggers there who could help...  :d

Worked for a short time for the National Grid and can confirm the points above on pylons, quite profitable but you must provide clear access 24/7.  Check out the length left on the contract, and play your cards right, nice little money earner.  Without violating the Data Protection Act, a rather famous musician from a Liverpool quartet who's still performing does rather well out of it - not that he or she needs it...

Nice idea to buy the land next to you.  If you do make sure you protect the access as travellers of allsorts like a bit flat ground to park their caravans, just locking the gate is not enough these days.

Wilderness - read "habitat value" - if you are on the chilterns and you have a chalk geology you might be able to get grants for leaving it alone as unimproved grassland - ADAS could help (or whatever it's called now - Natural England perhaps - they have loads of bunnie huggers there who could help... :d

Yep - there may be a fair few options to claim subsidies under the common agricultural policy, try Rural Payments Agency too.

Thanks Onliest..... sage advice.....farm for sale near me..... i'm thinking about it...... long term retirement plan....