the best sound

Steve_Farrimond

Silence...

I love complete silence.

Second place has to be the V6 Jag on last nights top gear!

when the westy fires up after been left in garage all winter...

great sound..

Bernie shoots, and scores! Might not be the best engine, but the sound it makes....

Though that Jag did sound good.

Without a doubt for me its the Mazda 787B w**kel engined 1991 le mans winner. Officially the loudest car ever to race there, and given the current trend for diesel gayness, not a record Lilly to fall. I'm on my phone, so can't post a YouTube clip, but take it from me, when Jonny Herbert put in 3 laps at le mans to celebrate 20th anniversary of the cars victory there, its combination of shrieking banshee scream and apocolyptic mortar fire on over run turned me to a squealing schoolboy again.

Ben

Bernie shoots, and scores! Might not be the best engine, but the sound it makes....

Don't think any of the V16's have been made to go at full revs that since that recording, and OOOOOOOH!  the sound of the superchargers in the background.    Nick Mason has one too, I believe.

The V16 BRM is a fantastic sounding machine.

I've never heard a clip of the 787b that got me that excited. I've always strongly suspected it's one of those to hear in real life. Didn't it give JH and some of the other drivers a degree of hearing damage after LeMans?

The BRM engine sound is described as tearing calico. I think that was first used for a Bugatti.

We went to visit Jean-Marie, Nathalie and Celeste last week and they took us to a small car museum nearby.

We went round looking at early Peugeot's, Renault's and some more obscure makes and then, buried in the corner at the end of the aisle was a  Type 57 Bugatti. It is good condition, hasn't been over restored and looked good in it's maroon and cream paint.

I remember seeing a clip of a Westy with a Ford/Jaguar V6 - that sounded good too.

Rory's Dad

Was it this one?