Autosolo Video

Ninja

I truly couldn't remember the route! Are you allowed navigators? (it does look fun though)

Honestly remembering the route isn't a problem, you get time to walk the tests before driving them, and with the numbered cones its not a problem.

Even if you do get lost on a test, each test has a maximum time (typically fastest time +30sec), so if the fastest guy does it in 1min, and on your run you get lost and come back 5min later, you would get a time of 1min30. so you don't fall entirely out of tentention (plus you'll still have a fun day trying to drift around cones!)

I can't advocate autotest/autosolos enough, huge fun and cheap... :t-up:

It certainly looks it, I'll definitely try and make it along next time as it's only an hour away from me. 

Do you need anything to get involved? Licence etc...

No competition licence needed, I can't remember if you even need to show your regular driving licence.

Just need to be a member of the motor club (or one of the invited clubs).

The next local (for us) event is being run by West Suffolk MC on 15 Sept (not sure where it is yet, but probably Debden Airfield)

couple of questions:

are there any setup tips/tricks to help? thinking of drift westys with their pumped up tyres.

are borough 19 an invited club?

Hhmm the never ending tyre pressure discussion ;-) , personally I run 18 in the back and 16 in the front on Parada's. My theory is that you've got enough power to break traction, and you want the tyres to grip when you back off.. (whereas when i used to autotest a nova, I had the rears at 50-60, and the fronts at 26).

I've just taken a look at the regs for the last WSMC organised event to see which clubs were invited:

"Cambridge Car Club, Chelmsford Motor Club, EasternCounties Motor Club, Falcon Motor Club, King’s Lynn and District Motor Club, MG Car Club, Sporting Car Club of Norfolk and West Suffolk Motor Club. Entry is also open to members of other MSA registered clubs not previously mentioned up to the maximum of 15 on a first come first served basis. Anyone not a member of a club may take out full membership of the organizing club on the day, prior to signing on."

So it sounds like you could take one of the 15 "MSA club" spots :t-up:

Do you do anything special to steering , gear box ,set up etc. I take it you have an LSD fitted , but which make and what ratio ?

Just thought I'd post up a video from an autosolo a couple of weeks ago at Debden in Essex

This was the first outing in the westie, bit messy in places, but decent enough..  :t-up:

looks like we got that Zetec sorted out in the end

AutoSolo is a great way to get started in Motorsport. My summary of the key points is:

< Cars must be taxed, insured and have MOT.

< Cars must be driven to the event.

< You do not need special safety equipment - you will probably only need 1st/2nd gear.

< You do not need a Competition Licence, but will need Club Membership of the Organising or an Invited Club (maybe £20) and an entry fee is typically around £30.

< A typical format for a day is 4 different tests, each driven 3 times. The worst score on each test is discarded and the best 2 on each test aggregated to determine results (overall and within classes). There are penalties for wrong tests or striking cones.

< A well driven Westfield should be capable of challenging for overall victory, but this will take practice!

< No MSA List 1B tyres, 1A, standard roadgoing only.

< The events are designed to be a test of driving, not navigation, so the competition is all forwards, following the cones in numerical order, and with a cone lying on its side to show which side to pass.

< It is an ideal entry point and may appeal to be alongside the WSCC Speed series or as a first foray.

Explanatory video is here:

If anyone want more info just Post queries here or mail me and I'll be happy to help. I am the Go Motorsport contact for Central Southern England and I or one of my counterparts around the Country will be pleased to help.

Andrew

Regional Development Officer,

Go Motorsport, MSA

central@gomotorsport.net

looks like we got that Zetec sorted out in the end

Indeed you did Troy  :t-up:  :t-up:  it didn't miss a beat...  :yes:

Do you do anything special to steering , gear box ,set up etc. I take it you have an LSD fitted , but which make and what ratio ?

You don't "have" to do anything to a westfield to have a good day's fun and should come mid table  :yes:

My car (and occasionally me) is easily capable of winning autosolos (the car its not quite single purpose enough to challenge in the autotest arena). I've got a well setup 2.0 Zetec on TBs (thanks Troy!), standard steering rack, standard type-9, Parada tyres, tran-x LSD, 4.1 final drive and a hydraulic handbrake.. 

TBH the video I posted was from a particularly "autotest-like" event, I've done several events in a mates MX-5 and you don't even go near the handbrake, so please don't think the lack of a handbrake is a gate to entry..  ;)

ive done a few autosolo's last year, and they really are great fun.

Entry is about £20 for the day.

This was an untimed demo run (hence the bit of showboating)

This was a timed run

I only have 1b tyres so the fronts are ZZR's in Supersoft at 13psi the rears are a pair of old 888's in medium with about 45psi :-)

I have had a go and it is easier to remember the route than you intially think - helped me looking at the drawn plan of the route and then walking it (however if you spin it is bl**** difficult to pick up the route again)

Mark - did you know that Peterborough Motor Club are very much into this sort of stuff? - I soon realised it wasnt for me when the chairman of the club took me out to show me how to do a J turn and his front wheel fell off :laugh:

I have to say, it looks like good fun! Wonder if there are any going on round here.