Autosolo Video

Ninja

Just thought I'd post up a video from an autosolo a couple of weeks ago at Debden in Essex

This was the first outing in the westie, bit messy in places, but decent enough..  :t-up:

how'd you remember where to go :oops:

I'd be like Captain Slow trying to navigate Milton Keanes. Hopelessly, hopelessly lost.

That looks amazing fun! I'd like a go at that, do they run them often? How would I get involved?

A lot of local Motorsport clubs run them and they are pretty inexpensive to do as well. As with all things you end up modifying the car to do that particular discipline. It's common that competitors move from Autosolo to Sprinting & Hillclimbing as well. There is some more info here http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentviewarticle.asp?article=770

I know one of the top guys well, here he is 

it also shows how to remember the course, which almost seems the most difficult bit. This video does show how they can be run almost anywhere, this one is a bit extreme though.

Here is the in car : 

Nick

I thought, although

I may be incorrect...

Those vids are Autotest, which involves reversing.

Autosolo uses only forward gears, and is much easier to start out in.

does he have some sort of special modification for getting in and out of reverse so quick. .... in the second vid it looks like he just has a forwards and backwards lever.... must be wichcraft!

i would love to have a go at this as it looks fun and not so serious

Correct, the video of Richard is an Autotest, my video was an autosolo - so no reversing (unless you get it wrong!).

Just to confuse matters slightly, one of the rules of Autosolos is that the car must be road legal and driven to the event. However, some car clubs will allow non-road legal or trailered cars, but run them in a different class - which they call the autotest class (but everyone drives the same tests).

Lots of motor clubs run autosolo events, my local(ish) clubs which run them are: Chelmsford MC and West Suffock MC, there is a directlory of clubs on the MSA website: link

Club membership is around £20 a year, event entry is £20-£30 - cheap as chips motorsport.

Autosolo's are not intended to be memory tests (as autotests are), as such the route is marked out by numbered cones - so finding your way shouldn't be too hard.

They are also laid out in a way which should allow them to be driven "using normal road techniques", the organsiser will normally drive the course slowly in a road car proving that if you find it too tight to get round - you were just going too fast!

Nick

I thought, although

I may be incorrect...

Those vids are Autotest, which involves reversing.

Autosolo uses only forward gears, and is much easier to start out in.

Yes, that's right. and you are also right that Autosolo's are an easier place to start.

Just read my initial post, and I should have made it clearer that the videos were of Autotest, where there is a British Championship organised by Nic Ayre who is a WSCC Club Member.

Ninja has done a very good summary above of the differences. :d :D

I know one of the top guys well, here he is 

it also shows how to remember the course, which almost seems the most difficult bit. This video does show how they can be run almost anywhere, this one is a bit extreme though.

Thats just mesmerising to watch!  :yes:  :d  :cool: 

I did an Autotest (using reverse) at the Abingdon factory in 1962. A workmate drove the company demo Midget there and I had a go.

To get into reverse whilst going forward, you lock the rear wheels and it will then engage reverse.

I thought I was brilliant! Came 3rd - from last.