Speed hump guidance please

WestyNottm

Why don't you request a small gap in the middle of the speed hump to clear the bar protecting the prop shaft? 

Assuming it's a management company or residents committee - get your request in early.

I measured the ground clearance of the hoop and it is 90mm with no-one in the car. I have now made representations to the relevant people regarding the hump and am just waiting a response

Get them to go for a longer speed hump, from my experience the short ones are worse as the front wheels drop straight down on the short ones and beach the car on the hump. Also, if you can go for full width humps that would be better.

Some good points there -esp' the one about reduced house prices, if you can show this, it would kill it dead IMO ! , I'd also point out that someone will have to be responsible for it and damage to any vehicle may have some form of liability associated with it.

If you make enough fuss they might give up and abandon the idea.

I'm not sure if true, but I feel that gonig over a hump off centre or diagonally helps.

In most cases driving onto the ramp with one wheel first (at say 45 degrees) will raise the chassis before the sump get to the hump.

Look at that, I'm a rap artist, "sump to the hump". Now, what shall I call myself? I know, GRUMPY HUMPY.

Having now had further discussions about the speed hump, and showing off my pride and joy to demonstrate the somewhat limited clearance, it seems the hump is now going to be in a position that won't affect the route from my garage.

Thanks to all previous contributors to my original post as it helped in no small way to quote many of the things you all came up with.

If ever I needed justification for the value of my membership, this is just one small example so far.

Good to hear of the sensible conclusion :)

I do intend to make up a measuring frame then be the biggest pain in the councils backside if any of there humps or bumps are out of tolerance as it is classed as Obstruction of the highway and is illegal

It's the only way sometimes

I find that a constant speed of around 45 mph negates most speed humps - goes for westfield, navarra, x trail, cantor, saab....  Be brave