Spanish train crash.

Norman Verona

I've just seen the film of the train crash. As long as it wasn't speeded up then that train was travelling much faster than the 80 kph (49.6 mph) speed limit.

It's really horrendous as the carriages smash into the concrete embankment. I wonder how anyone survived.

An 'expert' on the Today programme yesterday said it was impossible for the train to be travelling too fast: "...the systems won't allow it." I hope the experts that investigate this terrible event are better informed than he is. The driver will have some searching questions to answer if the media's suggestions that he bragged on social media about speeding are anything like accurate.

There's a black box (coloured dayglo orange) which has been recovered. It will show the speed and the recording of the driver phoning the emergency services where he is reported to have admitted going at 180 kph. Mind you it's easy to misshear 80 as 180 in those circunstances.

I am a railway Civil Engineer and have investigated several big accident including Hatfield, Potters bar and Gerrards Tunnel collapse

When I first saw still pics immediately after the accident I said to my wife that the sharp curve and speed were the likely cause as there was no evidence of initial track damage 

Terry it was on BBC news this morning. See if get time to watch.

Terry, it was explained on the BBC News website pretty well yesterday - does look like driver error. :(

BBC said they were unconfirmed reports.

How long does it take to download the black box. That will have all the answers.

I don't know exactly the reasons of this crash, but I try to imagine how it must be amazing when you are inside and when you feel the accident arrive, when you live, see and hear this nightmare in real. It's must be mad. Today, I send a great thought for the casualties, their family and their friends with my heart.

It is a tragedy and clearly we do not know what has gone wrong. I have heard some experts say that they have systems on board which stop the train from going too fast on certain sections. If that is the case the driver may have noticed the situation too late with such devastating outcome.

Of course he may have had the hammer down and been totally responsible until the offical reprot we can only speculate. What is clear is that having the deaths of 80 people on your head is not something that will be easy to live with.

I hope he gets a fair hearing, as when most of us makes a mistake it costs a few quid, when someone like this guy makes one it costs a lot more.

• Like 1

Yes saw video after I had my guess at the cause from still pics

I am no expert on train contriols but am aware that some trains and track systems automatically apply the brakes if driver does not. Permanent speed restrictions are well known by drivers who are passed out for specific routes. I feel for families of those who died and only driver knows what happened at the moment until black box and other systems such as train brakes are all checked

Dont understand the references in press to his facebook site and bragging about speeding...... I hope thats not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive been a Railway Signalling Installation Engineer for 22years. There are variuos ways to control the speed and tilt of a train within the UK and indeed Europe.

Everything is designed so that if a mechanical or electrical fault occurs it would result in a Right Side Failure (but you can never allow for operator error). Only time will tell the cause of this incident, at this point I wouldnt like to make any assumptions.

Yes saw video after I had my guess at the cause from still pics

I am no expert on train contriols but am aware that some trains and track systems automatically apply the brakes if driver does not. Permanent speed restrictions are well known by drivers who are passed out for specific routes. I feel for families of those who died and only driver knows what happened at the moment until black box and other systems such as train brakes are all checked

Dont understand the references in press to his facebook site and bragging about speeding...... I hope thats not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He had previously posted a comment on FAce book showing his speedo on the train. He remarked it would be funny to speed past the police setting off their speed detection equipment whilst on his train.

The facts are being twisted to show a man who enjoyed speed so in the trial by media he is guilty already.

Courtault has summed it up exactly the way i feel,I don't normally get upset when people in a far away place die in an accident,  but this one seems to have affected me.

I somehow feel for those people trying to understand how their loved one died just coming home from work. 

Maybe I'm getting old.

It's hard to comprehend being in an accident like that. Particularly walking away. I remember a thread on PistonHeads where some chap had survived without a scratch in one of the crashes in recent memory. He very honestly said he has never felt so alive before or since and that the feeling could only be described as fantastic despite the horrors around him. Adrenalin is powerful stuff and he must have had a lifetimes worth in one hit.