Welsh Show Axemen

jeff oakley

We were over in Wales this weekend to visit the Welsh Show, which is the largest agricultural show in the World. They have a section which is all about timber work the sort where they run up trees at speed and cut things down.

One of the competitions has a timed competition to chop a part of a tree in half. They are set on a stand and are all the same size.

So out come the competitors and there was agiant of a man who looked like he could eat through the tree and at the other end of the scale a skinny guy.

The big guy walks around practicing his swing and marking his cuts, as do the others, skinny guy hangs around. They do a staggared start which I assumed was a handicap, the big guy starts first and starts chopping with gusto, skinny guy starts last. It was incredible, the skinny guy went off like a rocket swinging his axe so fast it looked as though he was on film sped up. In seconds is seemed the tree was in half.

The big guy gace up. Incerdible to watch. I am sure James will explain more but such skill was fantastic to watch

It's timbersports.... gret fun to watch and even more fun to do  :)  i'm off out now but will try and find some good pole action :-) 

i wuv axes

I've got a big chopper.

Norman, it's not the size of your chopper it's how you use it !

The skinny man obviously has the right technique .

I've got a small one and a big one.

No idea how to use either

Generally speaking, the by-product of using a chopper is a plank.

• Like 1

Or perhaps a severed limb if your name happens to be Verona.

I've not damaged my self with either of my choppers - yet!