The life and tales of a road going sprint car

Bennett156

I thought it may be a good idea to write about the experience that I've had over the last few days so as to negate any doubt some members may have regarding competing when they don't have a trailer.

I've been competing in the speed series over the last 2 years, driving to various events, competing, then driving the return leg!

This weekend however, takes president for distance covered in the name of grass roots Motorsport.

So to begin, last Thursday started out much like the days which preceded it. Hot, sunny and dry. The difference being today I was going to work in the westfield, with a passenger seat full of race gear, fuel and oil. (And a full suit, well come to that later)

So trip 1. Towcester to Cranfield: (25 miles) down the a5 and through central miltonkeynes (roundabout central!) trip to work at 6.45 am... Not a bad start to the day!

Trip 2. Cranfield to sheffield (130 miles ) up the m1, through chesterfield (first stop at donnington park for fuel... 20litres will only get you so far!) this trip consisted of many people sat in traffic complimenting me on my choice of vehicle.

Trip 3. Sheffield to pub in Peak District. (30 miles): unpack the car in Sheffield and replace with the better half for a swift pint and to watch the sunset over the city.....Cracking way to end a rather busy week! This was no small feet to get the mrs into the now windscreen less Westfield wearing a helmet!

FRIDAY:

Trip 4. Sheffield to Blyton: (60ish miles) setting off at 6.30'collected father and a friend and hit the a roads for Blyton. Spent 90% of the day tanking round in the car with dad and my mate, then swapped to the sprint tyres for a cheeky practice.

After a pub meal, many laughs (gluten free! For those in the know) several beers and a rather exuberant taxi journey it was time for the tent, ready for racing.

SATURDAY:

A full day of successful (kept it on the black stuff) sprinting (again with the car been driven rather hard) followed by more beer, wine and anything we could get our mits on. A foolish move of being the first asleep in public left me open to human buckaroo... See Luke algar for details.

SUNDAY:

Another (rather slower start, due to a thick head) day of sprinting.

Pack up the tent, change the tyres back to road and attend the presentation.

After re-packing the car, borrowing some premium from Paul Morcolm (thanks again mate) it was time for return trip to Sheffield. (60ish miles)

MONDAY:

My good ladies graduation at Newcastle university... Congratualations once again! The car had a well deserved day off.

TUESDAY:

Back to work! (130 miles) back down the m1 to Cranfield. 2 stops for fuel.

Work 7.30-6.30 and a spirited drive back to towcester! (25 miles)

All in all, a round trip of +460miles off the track, a full 2 days sprinting and a track day all in a £5k Westfield.... That linked with the banter, comradery, great planning and helpfullness of the WSCC and all of its members made for a Long weekend to remember.

I hope this short(ish) post helps any of the people who are in a similar situation to me to jump into sprinting regardless if they have a trailer or not.

I invite anyone (past or present) to share there similar stories to entice any other budding sprinters who also have to drive to events!

Thanks to everyone involved in making this weekend, truelly one to remember.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 2

Just had to sell my car to finally get on the property ladder. I wanted to compete still and needed something cheap that I could still sprint , hillclimb and drive to and from each event as my licence does not entitle me pull a trailer :(

I bought a 2.0xe se with live rear axle for under £6k that had previous success in the sprint series, happy days :).

We put it straight in the garage and spent two weeks prepping the car (well dad prepping the car) for Shelsley earlier this month including a new roof and side screens. I have an RAC roll bar so we had to position the pop rivets at the back on the top of the body work facing up as this was the only way it would reach. I packed the passenger side up with everything I needed and set off in my cosy little car. After 500 yards the roof bellowed at the sides, filled with air and un-popped the roof at the back, (we didn't have time to test it prior). The weather was nice so I just took it off and went to Shelsley.

I had an ok day but I was a bit slow, the car was fantastic, a lot better up that hill than a 348! And with a bit more time with the car I will improve. I drove back in the car and all went ok, just need to solve the roof problem now as I am doing Mira and Hethel back to back in August and I live in Berkshire.

Today I set for Brands hatch for an evening track day with a friend following his recovery truck with his car on it. I was thinking the whole time I need to get a small trailer and do my test, it would be so much easier.

We had a good afternoon although the car got a little hot. I loaded up the passenger side once more and we set off home. 30 minutes from home the battery light started flashing and I lost all power. My mate hadn't realised I was no longer following so had to double back onto the M25 taking another half hour. We made a make shift tow rope and he towed me less than 2 meters behind his truck for a terrifying 30 minutes ( I have never concentrated so hard!)

I got in an hour ago, put the car away, had a shower and sat on the back porch wondering what am I doing?? I must be mad!

I clicked onto the WSCC and read this story which made me feel better. It's nice to hear others doing the same thing. Maybe it will just take a bit more getting used to. I miss my roof, CD player and softer ride but I do love my Westy ;)

Hi James,

I'm entered on the next Mira, come say hi again.

I think we met at Shelsley?

I've not driven with a hood but have done both screen and doors + aeroscreen... IMO aeroscreen is more comfortable for on the road with a helmet come rain or shine. Get a tonneo and you don't get buffeted as much + stay dryer if your moving.

Keep at it, I advise attending a WSCC run event to get a full experience of what the club has to offer.

I'm in the same boat with the trailer.. ..Licence (as well as having nowhere to keep it!)

It is easier to have a trailer, but needs must and the point I think we have both proved its you can still do it without!

Cheers

Chris.

It is easier to have a trailer, but needs must and the point I think we have both proved its you can still do it without!

Cheers

Chris.

Yep sure can be done. Especially with everyone being so helpful at events. I did Stoneleigh Curborough and Blyton (wished I'd done the sprint, but costs add upp) with no trailer and tenting it.

Definitely helped that the weather was good.

It was do the events OR fit a tow bar and I am very glad I chose the events. Although the tow bar will be fitted when funds allow.

Good post Chris and well done on your success in the sprints so far.

I loved reading your tails :)

I used to drive my MG to and from sprints but do trailer my Westy

I like the look you get from fellow road going !!!! sprinters when the ask if its used on the road and I can tell them its doing the school run tomorrow

:) :)

Big respect to you guys who drive to and from events, really enforces road going classes, but I am glad to have my trailer as I broke my gearbox at Curborough :(

A great story Chris. 

As you say there is no reason why you cannot not to take part in competitive events without a trailer.  I did for 10 years and even managed to pick up the occasional award.  During that time the only car stopper I had was a battery failure.  The Speed Series fraternity had me off to get a new one in double quick time and I did not miss any runs!

Keith

Great story, the question is how two get two people and the required stuff in the Westfield.

Perhaps there should be a category for cars that are driven to and from events.

It's good to hear as Id really like to have a go next year. Unfortunately we don't have space for a trailer and I think towing would kill my BMW anyway (not to mention not having the required license)!

Great story, the question is how two get two people and the required stuff in the Westfield.

Perhaps there should be a categories for cars that are driven to and from events.

It can be done!

Especially if you have a generous competitor close to you to lug the luggage you cannot get in the Westie.

double blow out on my trailer today - looks like i will be motoring  it to the next sprint...  :)   ,my fault as I had 60 hay bales on it yesterday... looked like someone in India driving up the A43.....

Enjoyed the read and commitment