Slow Fuel Filling a real pain in the proverbial

Lunchboy

Mine is most definately a breather , I believe it has a gauze filter on the end which acts as a flame shield  :t-up:

I just put up with a slow fill enjoy the moment listen to zeplin purple wishbone stones then i pay get in and smile for miles

• Like 1

Fuel tank breather valves are not one way, they are configured to let air in if the negative pressure exceeds around .08 psi and to let air out if the pressure exceeds around .8 psi.  When the engine is stationary they are sealed, which is why the car doesn't smell of petrol.

Thanks for all the advice.  Incidentally, when I unlock the filler cap, there's a woosh (technical term) so suggesting that a vacuum is building up in the tank?  Perhaps the breather valve is u/s?

Thanks for all the advice.  Incidentally, when I unlock the filler cap, there's a woosh (technical term) so suggesting that a vacuum is building up in the tank?  Perhaps the breather valve is u/s?

Nope - TADTS :)

I have an issue with filling the last few litres when the forecourt is either level or with the fuel filler slightly lower than the opposite side of the tank. I believe this is because I have trapped air in the opposite side of the tank to the filler. This slowly escapes from the vent valve as I'm filling (I can hear it) but not quickly enough to give a reasonable speed of filling.

I think a breather pipe from the filler pipe to the opposite side of the tank would help here. Many tintops have this kind of arrangement to allow pockets of air trapped int he tank to escape when filling.

Thanks for all the advice. Incidentally, when I unlock the filler cap, there's a woosh (technical term) so suggesting that a vacuum is building up in the tank? Perhaps the breather valve is u/s?

Mine does the whoosh but it's positive pressure escaping

Worst when very low on fuel and been driving for a while, sometimes sprays a bit of petrol out...

Seems like more than 0.08psi to me

Breathers on the opposite side to the filler, not blocked or kinked

Tank is a long range one, running injection

Bob