Slow Fuel Filling a real pain in the proverbial

Lunchboy

Having (since I built it) a real problem filling up the Westie.  Normal filling station pumps just cut out and blow back.  Have resorted to filling via a funnel and a length of rubber fuel pipe. takes ages and not a good look either!  The tank vent pipe isn't pinched or blocked as far as I can see.  Any bright ideas gratefully received. 

TADTS :)

(They all do that, sir!)

Try turning the nozzle upside down, half way in only, on slow feed or all of the above.

I go for the 90 degree nozzle method.

And fill it slowly. 

When I had my car, it needed a swirl pot, so I had a new tank made, and got them to make it so the filler neck entered the tank at the back of the tank(nearest the front of the car) rather than at the front so the fuel had a much better entrance. Improved things no end, the best mod I ever made to the car, no fuel surge ever, even when on fumes, and much quicker filling!

When I rebuilt my car (caterham) I left a long straight pipe with the cap under the boot lid. It's straight down into the tank and fills in seconds. Leaves a completely flat rear panel.

Don't have a problem at all with mine but don't know what, if anything, is different - it's just the standard tank and filler sold by Westfield for fuel injected cars in 1999.

They don't all do that , its a question of tank venting afaik fuel in = air displaced , unless your tank is different than mine I would check what sort of venting you have .

I thought it was straight petrol, you know the sort, straight as in won't go round corners.

Hmm mine doesn't do it either. Could be luck, or a sensitive pump if you always fill at the same one?

Mine does it but I put it down to the tank been foam filled

Mine did it before I installed a vent as per other posts. I disconnected the carbon canister and just put a rollover atmospheric valve to the breather in a longer rubber hose above the filler height.

Like the above, I have no problems.  In fact, just stuffed £30 worth in tonight at full flow right until the pump shut off.  I've the standard injection tank, a tank breather valve and a piece of hose that loops up the roll hoop strut and back down again.  I can only imagine the problem may be the wrong valve, liquid in the spill tube blocking the flow of air, valve fitted the wrong way round?  As far as I recollect the breather valve I used was the one supplied with the tank from WF (bought about 18 months ago).  You can just see the arrangement here (ignore the huge slab of carbon...)

15051209.jpg

I think the problem is that the fuel collects at the right angle bend just 2" from the spout and stops the air escaping.

I think the problem is that the fuel collects at the right angle bend just 2" from the spout and stops the air escaping.

Hence the need for a "seperate" breather as per the photo above 

As you fill the tank with fuel , the fuel "must" displace the air inside the tank , if the displaced air can't get out through a breather tube (pipe) it tries to get out via the filler,  causing the filler to become pressurised with air and forcing fuel back up the tube  :t-up:

Sorry to be a party pooper but I'm sure that is not a breather on the left of the tank and is infact a 1 way valve. It lets air into the tank to replace the fuel used if it was a breather your car would constantly stink of fuel. Take it out and try blowing through it you will get red cheeks