Trip to NMS

Exsandman

Well after failing the MOT emissions this I Finally got round to booking the westy into a sessions at NMS.

It was no surprise really as it had always been a marginal pass and after  a new cambelt and timing back to SBD setup spec

there was always a chance it would drift out of the 3.5% pass .

At the beginning of the week it was supposed to be dry all week but as the week progressed  and the rain clouds

started gathering in was inevitable that it was going to be a wet trip. I broke out the wet weather gear on thursday night  which had never been used before and was all ready for the trip to Northampton.

Friday came and decided to set off an try to miss the impeded deluge but after 10 minutes the wet stuff started to fall and it would have been fine but after 10 miles the driver wiper blade decided it did not want to be attached to the arm any more and promptly left the windscreen and was flattened by the car behind, but not wanting to get wet I pressed on with no driver wiper blade and eventually made it to NMS. I must say that driving with the wet weather gear on in the p******** rain and no wiper blade in not an experience i would want to repeat soon  :(  :(

after arriving it suddenly dawned in me that even when we get the emissions sorted  the lack of a wiper blade my have some impact 

on the ability to pass the MOT, here where i have have to to give top marks to westfield spares as after a quick call th ebaldes where dispatched for a pre 12 noon delivery on saturday...more on that later.

As i arrived early troy said he would get me sorted so i could beat the  rain die for the return trip. emissions were sorted in no time but decided to get a full remap done to sort out a minor  issues sorted and after discovering  that fact the throttle was only opening to site 14 we eventually got an initial run complete at 213 bhp and 164 lbs/ft torque.

I bit of fettling saw an increase to 224 and 174, but with approx a 15 % increase in power and torque  between 3000  and 4000 rpm... the net result is  car that idles smoother, picks up much better and altogether feels like a different car..

I big thanks to Troy and everyone at NMS for the great service and cups of tea :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

linky

.oh yes, went for the MOT, emissions good wiper  blade tunred up 10 minutes after i left which was promptly delivered by SWMBO and   all set for another year  :d  :d  :d  :d  :d  :d  :d

oh yes and the suns now out  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

• Like 1

it's never easy is it !!!

but worth it...

I too had a dreadful tip in the snow with an aero screened car a few months ago and spookily got exactly the same figures And increased driveability. What spec is engine?

I will scan my results in later and post them up.

its a redtop running SBD's  taper throttle 225 kit... so where's my missing pony  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

In all seriousness, that's a great result! - SBD's "book" figures are achievable, but it takes a lot of work, a good engine and a cracking set up to see them on a rolling road. (The figures were from the original engine dyno set ups sessions IIRC, which always flatter a little bit).

It feels like a gained 50 tbh dave....just cant stop smiling :d  :d :d  :d  :d  ...at this rate ill be needing a new set of rears by Monday :suspect:  

Fantastic, and glorious timing for it!

Did it a few weeks ago, aeroscreen  car in heavy rain and some standing water, now I know why they call them buckets seats!

192 bhp out of my XE, bog standard except for QED42H cams. It is all the engine I need it to be....for now.

Here is my results:

EPSON005.jpg

I think your peak torque is a little lacking  :p 

Mine has the SBD tapered throttle bodies, QED pistons and  277 degree hydraulic cams.  It is a very docile engine round town and then just keeps going as the revs rise.  I do think the cams as a little aggressive for hydraulic lifters as the power is still climbing at my 7500 RPM limit.  Others have said it will be fine to 8000 RPM on hydraulic lifters but I am not happy to take it that far.