Rolling Road Virgin

Dave Evans

Not sure if this should be here or in Tech Talk. I've had my 1989 1.6 CVH Westy for around 9 months, and have done a bit of tweeking. 

But felt it could run better, so booked it in with my local rolling road.

On the 1st run the graph recorded 98.4 BHP- not too bad for a standard 1.6 CVH.

After 8 more runs and a lot of tweeking of carb jets and timing the final graph recorded 109BHP and torque of 108.7 Lbft. This is from a standard engine runnig the standard single twin choke weber.  To date this is the best money I've spent on the Westy. Not sure what the

new MPG will be - but who cares when you have the smell of hot rubber in your nostrils. Already booked in for a 12 month health check.

Dave

• Like 1

Nice one!  Next step will be twin 40s, which will add about 15-20 BHP and again make a big difference.

It's begun... another case of upgradititus :oops:

It's begun... another case of upgradititus :oops:

to be fair it has taken 9 months, thats impressive patience!

If its burning the fuel more efficiently then you should notice an improvement in mpg.

Well done - it's always good to hear good news! Mine is currently with a mate getting a health check and smoothing out my power and torque curves. :d

I always advise people to get theirs on a RR .. it can pay dividends!

Yep, the two things that really, really pay dividends; getting the car rolling roaded, and having the geo done.

While in theory both can be done to some extent without the highly expensive equipment that the pros have available. The reality is that you're not just paying for some time on the RR or alignment machine, you're also paying for the operators experience and knowledge. And with a good operator, those are priceless!

• Like 2

So your Tweaking as worked well, whats next?   Plenty of inspiration on this forum for upgrades and hazardous to your wallet.

Does anyone know a good rolling road that can deal with bike carbs on zetec? In east Midlands (Leicestershire/Nottingham/Derby preferred)

Thank you

Paul

Where in the east mids are you paul

Thinking of fitting same engine with bike carbs and wouldnt mind a nosey at how its plumbed in

Steve

Leicestershire (Melton Mowbray)

You are most welcome, to have a nosey! It might even be on the road (gosh)

You can also see them on my blog. I used zx6r carbs mated using a bogg brothers manifold. 

Still at the tuning phase at the moment (having found a short on my earths behind the dash and that my hazard switch was playing up)

Northampton Motorsport of course! They are one of our sponsors, as well.

• Like 1

Im booked in at NMS (or Troy town) Friday 2nd August.  Its taken me 2 years to do this

I filled up the car last Friday £30.04!  and id only done 64miles since previous fill.

Hopfully the journey home will be much sweeter than the one there. I live in Staffordshire but due to ALL the reviews on here booking with NMS seems a no brainer.