obd fault readers

dombanks

i want to check out the fault codes on my z4 as last night the power steering stopped working.

is it worth getting one of those £25 ones from ebay that claim to be able to read the codes?

You need INPA to read codes on a BMW, I purchased a lead and software from Ebay, it was very tricky to set up but got there in the end. Used it to diagnose a DSC fault light which kept coming on. Faulty sensor changed and all sorted so £25 well spent.

Where abouts are you? if local I could have a bash at reading your codes for you?

I used a plug in bluetooth module plus software on Tablet to read codes on a VW. Well worth the £10. Sensor fitted in a few minutes after a few years of gradual failing on Helen's tin top.

Can't help with the BMW reader though.

You need INPA to read codes on a BMW, I purchased a lead and software from Ebay, it was very tricky to set up but got there in the end. Used it to diagnose a DSC fault light which kept coming on. Faulty sensor changed and all sorted so £25 well spent.

Where abouts are you? if local I could have a bash at reading your codes for you?

im in liverpool... the power steering went lastnight which is not fun as its like a lumbering barge. having spent a while reading about there seems to be a comon thread about the ecu/servo motor going caput. hopefully a reader might show this and hopefully you can just replace this one bit as the other problem with the column is a bush and usually means a new steering column at £1500+

everything else electronically speaking works fine including the neav/radio/stability/abs etc  its just the sport button and electronic power steering thats stopped (both are related) 

i was thnking of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-OBD-Diagnostics-Cable-Code-reader-Ediabas-Inpa-DIS-/270982887432?hash=item3f17d6b808#ht_4951wt_1161

the car is drivable and perfectly safe, aparently, but even so i want to get it fixed right. i will try a battery reset which sorts out alot of stuff [apparently] later but if its gone once i expect it to happen again.

That looks like what i have, got to be worth a punt at £25, shame you are too far away or you could have used mine for free.

no worries at least i know some one to ask when it doesnt work!

Yeah, no worries, mine came with a PDF on a disc that explained the install step by step.

Think most of the problem is that the software is designed to use a lead connected into a serial port but as most newer stuff doesn't have this the supplied lead is USB with tweaks to the PC set up to make it work

Good luck, take your time and don't skip any steps and you will get there mate,