What is the meaning of "design"

Norman Verona

I always thought that design meant to design something to do the job it's supposed to.

I bought a Panasonic vacuum cleaner in the UK, as it was the "wrong" colour (wine) it was £20 cheaper than the "right" colour.

It looks good, just like a vaccum cleaner should, it has all the attachments clipped to the machine.

IT JUST DOESN'T WORK!!!!!

The hose thingie couldn't pick up a piece of fluff. It's useless. I'm about to throw it and take it down the tip.

So design no longer means to design it to work properly.

I had a Panasonic bagless upright a few years ago and when it worked it was good and effective, but after a short time (two rooms) it lost suction dramatically. The fine filters downstream of the cyclone became clogged completely and had to be washed out. A spare set was needed to use when the others were drying, and vice versa. Our old Hoover Junior 1334 was SO much simpler and although a full bag did lose suction, it was still adequate for the task. The Panasonic died an ignominious death when I used it to suck up some soot from my old Potterton boiler when I serviced it once The Hoover had done without complaint, but the Panasonic allowed the very conduction carbon particles into the commutator area of the motor which shorted the segments irreparably. 

I simply refuse to believe that a Dyson would be significantly better - they have fine particle filters too and these must clog. Surprising, though, that a Panasonic product is poor, because I have had nothing but good stuff from that company historically.

Best hoover I've bought a Henry - simple, sucks and does the job.

Agree, Henry sucks.

I think the Panasonic works in the upright position but that's debatable now we have the robot. I also bought a Bosch non-upright a few months ago and that seems OK, not as good as Robbie but OK. It's in the gite at the moment and I'm just too tired to go and get it.

The 19 loose tiles in the utility room have been removed and new ones, with no linseed oil have been stuck down. Lots of water to soak into the tile and dry concrete and I'm confident they will be OK. Just 4 to cut and stick down and I'll be ready to grout in the morning.

Best hoover I've bought a Henry - simple, sucks and does the job.

Another vote: Henry for PM!  :d

Don't get me started :cry:   There's so much marketing b*****k* and misuse around the term, denigrating the profession, I get embarrassed to admit to being a designer myself.

On a related topic - adverts for 'Architect designed house'  Of course it's designed by an architect   :bangshead:

Dom get her a Robot for her birthday/christmas/easter or just to say "I love you"

See never buy an appliance on design, always buy it on functionality.  Sadly good design normally means **** functionality

AJ, I didn't buy it for fancy design, it doesn't look that good. I bought it because it was £20 cheaper than the other colour because they couldn't sell the wine colour.

I assumed a Panasonic would at least work.

Cant believe you guys are discussing vacuum cleaners - come on , get a grip ! ;)

I hardly ever use one, but wanted to clean the concrete dust up before cementing the new tiles in the downstairs loo. 

That's a manly thing to do, isn't it?

I hardly ever use one, but wanted to clean the concrete dust up before cementing the new tiles in the downstairs loo. 

Why did you buy anything other than a Henry then???   You can't kill them with that sort of task.

I have one specifically for garage/diy related jobs after killing a previous vacuum with pine needles.

She wanted an upright, we have all wooden and tiled floors and it was getting too difficult to clean them with that sort of cleaner.

I was in Currys/pcworld (or something) and saw these two Panasonics. They looked the same, the specs were the same but one was £20 less. I asked what the difference was and was told it was the colour. They couldn't sell the wine coloured cleaner so reduced it by £20.  

I have two canister type cleaners which came from Machine Mart for about £40 the pair. They are in my workshop and used to clean cars.