Judge for yourself...

Captain Colonial

So a friend calls me up on the weekend and says he's got a surprise for me, and send me some photos of a kit car he's bought for £1,300, based on a V8-powered MGB-GT from the early 70s, apparently loads spent on the mechanicals and oily bits, unfinished project that someone's son needs to offload as he wants it shifting from the yard.

I'm saying nothing here at all, but felt it was necessary to share it with you all...

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_7181.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

Have no idea what it's supposed to be, but the wing and gold wheels are apparently definitely going!  Really not sure what to say...

Just to add, drive it through Birmingham and ask what they think it is and most will say it's a Morgan.

I put westfield stickers on, painted the Westfield in the grille yellow, got new ST seats with Westfield written on them and Westfield on the nose cone.

"Ear, dat a loverly Morgan mate, gorgeous paaint on er!"

Grr... If I had pound for every time I had someone arguing with me that I'm wrong and my westfield is actually a Morgan I'd afford a Morgan too!!!

They actually argue the point with me.

cross him off your friends list :d;)

• Like 1

Anorak time, it is as Scorhill Magic kit car which if memory serves was based on Cortina running gear. They never had that grill origanally it had a sort of fish mouth opening so the addition has made a car that fell from the ugly tree even worse.

If it is correctly registered then it is cheap enough, if it isn't then he has a battle with IVA to look forward to.

If he is happy then that is fine as it takes all sorts to make the world go around.

cross him off your friends list :d;)

:d  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:   X2

I'm with Jeff on this one, suspect not legally registered = big IVA problem, lots to fail that on just from looking at the pictures!

Looks wise well it has one!

Paul

It's registered as a 1972 MGB GT - I advised him the best thing would be to save for a replacement MGB body or break it for parts, but he's determined to repair and re-tax it and put it back on the road - so those of you in Kilmarnock...you have been warned.

I'm with you on that scott I'd convert back to MGB GT (is it on that chassis?) a link which may help your friend http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/

they stock virtually everything you need to restore MG, triumph, rover etc. parts. I used them for my old mini and they were very good.

Paul

Scott

Thanks for the warning - I live quite close to Kilmarnock so will keep an eye out for it this way (assuming it ever gets back on the road).

Mind you, we see some strange vehicles around here..!

774brm.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, registered as an MG according to DVLA website, 3.9 litre V8. Not on SORN, but eligible for free road tax as an MG.

Good luck to your friend insuring it, can' t help but feel that ISVs£1300 your friend will never get back.

Yep, registered as an MG according to DVLA website, 3.9 litre V8. Not on SORN, but eligible for free road tax as an MG.

Good luck to your friend insuring it, can' t help but feel that ISVs£1300 your friend will never get back.

Same here - hasn't picked it up yet, trying to encourage him to back out!

The design is loosely based on the MG TD. The grille looks like it may be an MGA.

Of course we won't like it, us of impeccable taste.

But someone will and it will be his pride and joy and give him lots of fun.