iphone

dombanks

my o2 iphone 4gs contract is due up soon.

im not really bothered about getting a new phone as this one is fine for me at the mo but i really dont like o2 anymore. they seem to have the worst network anywhere. go near north wales and you get no signal. go near a tall building and the same. currently im sitting 4 floors down from their antenna and you guessed it. no signal.

ill proabably go for a pay monthly sim deal and the orange ones look pretty good ~£10-15

so how easy is it to unlock a phone from a network to use any sim card?

the gifgaf £10 look s good

Dead easy to get an iphone unlocked

If this helps I've just renewed my sim only with T-Mobile - 1000 mins of calls, unlimited texts and unlimited data all for £8.00 per month + VAT

The next best deal I found was Tesco - 1200mins calls, 1GB data and 5000 texts for £12 a month

Good Luck some cracking sim only deals around at the moment

• Like 2

I have all my work phones on sim only being a tight A***...

the only trouble with sim only is when the handset gets a fault

I am with 02 (7 handsets) and have pretty good coverage in my part of the world (and personally had no issues in our recent trek up to the evo triangle, Betsey Coed area) - Have you tried the phone out of the case just in case that is the issue? Unlikely but worth asking the question

To get the phone unlocked just call O2 and they will do it for a small fee.

Why not just sell your iphone and then offset that against the price of a new contract with a new phone

If you do take up a contract even with selling your own phone - do the maths ;) cos they all want to tie you down for around 24 months which seems to work out at well over £1100 even buying a new iphone at £500 + 24 months at £10 sim only equates to £740 ............ beware of contracts ;) there's a good reason why they push hard to sell them - ;)

Having just left o2 and got a contract on orange I can say that the 3g service out in the sticks is pants when you compare o2 vs orange. In built up areas I find there is far less issue regardless of network. If I could choose again I would go for Vodafone. I think you get what you pay for

If I understand correctly an O2 phone doesn't need unlocking to go on the GiffGaff deal....because.....

GiffGaff uses the O2 network....I'm guessing you don't want to go there then!

Wait!

Hold everything!

As far as I know O2 phones are supplied unlocked. Get a free oay as you go sim for the network you want. Put it in, if it works... Easy, get the sim only.

Exactly what I did, I had shocking signal, couldn't make a call from my house. Was told antenna was broken, wait 2 weeks, called back, told they still had issues, call back in 2 weeks... I did and had

"You have had your phone more than 30 days, you have to pay the full 12 month contract."

That was with Orange. I tried other Sim's Vodafone worked, so Vodafone pay as you go I went. I then had issues closing the contract at the end of the 12 months. In 12 months I had sent 23 text messages and used 46mins of calls!!! They could see this, but couldn't see why I didn't want to upgrade. Since then I have had pay monthly, sim only deals and just paid cash for the phone I want and it's supplied unlocked. I move house a lot. 4 addresses In last 18 months! Then if signal goes, I get free pay as you go sim, test reception, then find sim only contract with network that works. All much of a muchness, all robbing bandits, so only real reason to go with anyone is signal. Both Mrs C and I have been on O2 a while now and never had an issue. I'd advise them over anyone, however... This post started "My 02...". So I'll not bother.

ha yes jim read that about an hour ago... lol

anyway if anyone is interested. yes the phone is locked to o2. but its easilly unlocked by filling in a quick form on their site becuase of my tarrif.

ive also ordered a giff gaff jobbie to have a look to see how it goes. both orange and 02 seem to be scketchy in north wales/chester/wirral for 3G which is what i mostly use.

my main concern was to get the price down and better coverage if possible.

the phone is worth about £200 and i dont want another contract yet. most certainly not 24 months as they just shaft you with these.

mark i do the maths every time. when i got this phone i normalised all o2 tarrifs (including the cost of phone and a data bolt on) to compare them and found the best value was one was a 12 month job i wasnt willing to pay for the phone but the next best was 18months .

so i think the giff gaff £10 a month one is pretty good for me unlimited text/1gb data/500mins calls for £10 which is much better than the £43.15 im paying at the mo

Dom I switches the whole family 5 of us to giffgaff a couple of years ago and saving loads on our previous orange payg.

Some of us have a £10 goody bag some have txt packages and some have payg.

Don't forget giffgaff runs on the o2 network.

Best thing about it is free giffgaff to giffgaff calls which saves me a fortune.

Andy

Good Point - don't forget that there is Skype, Viber, Whatsapp all available to download apps to make free calls with and if you have a BT landline you can make use of BT Smart-talk :d

The next best deal I found was Tesco - 1200mins calls, 1GB data and 5000 texts for £12 a month

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

I am going this way when I get back from the sandy place later this year