can you smell something?

FILFAN

on my way back across the M62 from aintree this afternoon in my trusty 1987 defender 110 with the trailer on the back. when i came to the big hill that takes you to where the farm is in the middle of the motorway i thought i best give it some beans or i will never get to the top. hit the bottom at 65mph and managed a steady 60 all the way up with my foot to the floor. just as it gets to 3 lanes at the top i thought i could smell something burning but it was a woody smell so decided it wasnt me and didnt worry. once on the level the smell died down but didn't completely go away and got a bit worse at the next hill. OH BU66ER think i should pull over. managed to get it to heartshead moor services and popped the bonnet, didnt really notice anything in the engine then i saw a nice load of smoke pouring out of the bonnet.

seems all my excitement getting up the hill had got the turbo nice and hot which ignited the sound deadening material that lines the bonnet.

as it was now elevated it was getting worse and im sure 25 years of oil soaked into it didnt help so i got my trusty rabbiting knife and chopped the offending part away then put it out with a bottle of coke  :laugh:

anyway managed the rest of the jorney without any more issues but the landy now stinks like bonfire night :( maybe its time to put the heat shield on that i have had on the shelf for 3 years

• Like 1

No need to rush putting on the new heat shield, just keep bottles of water to keep in the car to pour on the turbo if the bonnet paint starts bubbling.  :t-up: 

For a moment I wondered how you could smell my farts from there.

ahhh top landy motoring wuv

What a waste of coke!!!

Is that a new type of powder fire extinguisher?

Before the joke upsets someone or causes trouble... I know it was currently sold coke, Pepsi, coca cola... Etc. I'm also aware that Coke originally contained (apparently) the substance used in drug abuse.

What a waste of coke!!!

Is that a new type of powder fire extinguisher?

Before the joke upsets someone or causes trouble... I know it was currently sold coke, Pepsi, coca cola... Etc. I'm also aware that Coke originally contained (apparently) the substance used in drug abuse.

yup i just blew my nose on it and it was out  :laugh:

A landrover  with sound deadening material, and a turbo?... I better get those on my Christmas list.

:d 

A landrover with sound deadening material, and a turbo?... I better get those on my Christmas list.

:d

Love it

I can remember driving 250 miles straight down M5 at a good 70mph constantly, felt very warm in the drivers foot well... Got out of the Robin Hood and put my bottle of water in the bonnet... Soon melted and made a right mess. Took ages to clean off. But another time the engine cut out, bonnet up and the turbo was a very warm orange. A couple of weeks later took it on a RR session and found out the muppet previous owner plumbed it in wrong and was on constant maximum boost!

I bet the Landy one gets rather warm!

My second day at work, January 2nd 1961, I went with my mentor to pick up a Princess 4 litre R from a filling station near Brands Hatch.

We had to use the new Land Rover which had no heater. As we drove down Piccadilly I was under the dash pulling all the rubber bungs and grommets out of the bulkhead so as to get some heat into the cab from the engine. Got a lot colder when we got out of central London. Kent had been cut off with 8 foot high snow drifts.

I worked for a hire company in Rotherham in the 70s. We had 100s of Landrover but we had some issues with chassis cracking on an opencast mining site near Dronfield. I was up there one day when I found out why.

The Shand Mining guy's were mining a flood plain so they had to keep diverting the river to maintain the workablity of the site. This meant that they had to drive miles around to get a few yards away from where they were to where they wanted to be. So they had built small ramps to jump the gap at speed to save the mileage. This caused the chassis to crack just behind the front leaf spring.

Why they didn't just build a small bridge was beyond me, but remember this was back in the days that a large community of Irish  who were not well educated, dominated the fields of digging. Where ever muck needed digging they were there, living hard and very fast.

They other memorable Landrover tale, was when we were sent to tow in a small D series truck with a V8 landrover. When we got there it was found to be a larger truck above our weight, but being from Yorkshire we figured it was A, too far to go back. B, not that much bigger, C, worth a go.

So on with the straight bar and away we went towing the weight was okay but when we got to a downhill section on the M62 the weight of the truck started pushing the Landrover and when a person cut in front of me needing the slightest application of brakes, the landrover lifted at the back and speared off into the undergrowth.

As you would expect frightening, but we simply started the truck which had a knocking engine and pulled it back onto the road and carried on without further mishap.

Landrovers of thatera were as tough as old boots.

Jeff, when we got to the garage at Brands the Princess was on the forecourt. He had skidded and hit the small parapet wall of the garage.

The LR was a new LWB. They had realised there would be a problem as they had bolted a huge metal bar on the front. I tied the chains on and jumped up and started winding the crane. Something made me stop and turn round. Jimmy was writhing in the snow with laughter. He beckoned for me to get down. I jumped off and turned to see the front of the LR in the air and the Princess still on the deck.

We loaded the broken wall onto the metal bar and made our way back. Going up Brixton Hill the front wheels were off the ground.

As you say, there was nothing that could defeat a Land Rover.

so i got my trusty rabbiting knife and chopped the offending part away then put it out with a bottle of coke   :laugh:

LOL - Phil that has made my day mate - I'm in tears here imagining you hacking out burning bits off your car and dousing them - Top Bloke points for Filfan  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

At least he didn't pee on it.