Aeroscreen with a difference

darve

A bit of background first...... I am fitting a 2nd hand aeroscreen temperarily to enable me to fit the wing mirrors to the aero screen. I will be fitting a playskool cage later on (over winter now probably) and the mirrors fit the the cage. I didn't want to mount the mirrors to my nice new aeroscreen and end up with some holes in it! I therefore purchase a second hand one on here that was in yellow.

I painted this and fitted it yesterday but wasn't happy with the finish, even though it's temperary. See pics

IMG-20130623-WA0002_zpsa353be80.jpg

IMG-20130623-WA0008_zpsd64b297e.jpg

After my success :d of making a bootbox cover I though about covering the aero in vinyl. I think it looks quite funky :cool: Note mirrors obviously to go back on and the perspex bit of the screen will be fitted after IVA (Wefstfield said to fit after and some people have failed on it)

20130624_223902_zps445ab6bc.jpg

20130624_223925_zps5365453a.jpg

20130624_223941_zpscca27853.jpg

20130624_223847_zpse7eaa1d0.jpg

• Like 1

Dave, it looks good but does it work? Looks a bit shallow to me to direct the wind over your head.

Probably not how it is Norm :laugh: but with the perspex bit that has the big sweeping kicks on, it will force the air up and over my head..... well that's the plan :d

Ah, OK, I understand now what you meant by perspex.

Sorry.

Very good Dave :cool::laugh:

How's the sewing going on the handbrake and gearstick gators :laugh:

What! He's got alligators in the car.

Be careful Dave, they can bite.

what a ****e job sewing them gators on :angry:  :angry: :angry: :angry: took me f*****n hours :cry: :cry: :cry: my thumb is permenantly damaged from pushing the needle through :no:   :no:  :laugh:  :laugh:

but they're on - see last two pics above :t-up:

i found a stapler was a good tool to hold them in place whilst you sew :d

I never thought building a car would involve sewing :o  :oops:

ive finally got round to finishing off this job :) ive fettled the fitment a bit and found I needed the plastic bit on to get the correct shape. my question is, has anyone gone through iva with the plastic bit fitted? perhaps with a bit of rubber trim round the top. the only reason I ask is Simon said when I was at the factory to fit it after iva just in case. ta

IMG-20130627-WA0001_zps69a7a951.jpg

IMG-20130627-WA0002_zps4be1a235.jpg

IMG-20130627-WA0003_zps379dfab5.jpg

IMG-20130627-WA0004_zps67178977.jpg

looks good that - you might start of a new craze :d

Will you get enough field of view on the mirrors mounted there?

what a ****e job sewing them gators on :angry:  :angry: :angry: :angry: took me f*****n hours :cry: :cry: :cry: my thumb is permenantly damaged from pushing the needle through :no:   :no:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I outsourced that job to my missus' mum ;)

Will you get enough field of view on the mirrors mounted there?

think so. that's why I got ones with long stalks and mounted the centre mirror to help. they're fully adjusted as well

ive finally got round to finishing off this job :) ive fettled the fitment a bit and found I needed the plastic bit on to get the correct shape. my question is, has anyone gone through iva with the plastic bit fitted? perhaps with a bit of rubber trim round the top. the only reason I ask is Simon said when I was at the factory to fit it after iva just in case.

what's the height to the top of the screen measured from the seat squab?

As I said the other day the issue wouldn't be the edges which can be easily fixed with some trim but rather the height at which an aero screen is classified as a windscreen :)