Now the scams start

Norman Verona

Don't forget they can also use 'hacked' PayPal accounts to. Besides, if they can do PayPal they can do a bank transfer.

Dom, next email, had I responded, would have been that the PayPal charges were too expensive and he/she had arranged for a bankers draught to be sent.

Or something like it.

By this time the seller is hooked so agree's

You should string them along Norman, then give them a bogus address for the pick up :-)

Your right to be cautious Norm but so long as you don't release your car until you have cleared funds I can't see a problem.

I recently sold my TVR to a chap from Holland, he bought the car UNSEEN and paid in full by bank transfer before seeing the car, when he offered to send money I immediately thought "here we go" a scam is about to unfold, but his money arrived a few days later, I checked with my bank if it could be re-called and they assured me the only person who could refund that money was ME as they have no power to take money from your account with out your authorisation.

I also asked what would happen if the money was from ill gotten gains ( i.e. drug money or alike ) again they assured me so long as he paid a fair market value price once the money was in my account it was safe.

Anyway a few days later I collected him from his flight to Luton, drove him back to my home to collect his purchase. He was a perfectly normal and very genuine guy, delighted with his car. He drove it back home to Holland no probs ( thank god ) and we still keep in touch via face book.

So the moral of my tale is to be cautious of course but don't think that everyone is out to scam you, many people feel happier paying electronically these days rather than carrying a wad of notes in their pocket.

Had exactly the same tried on my daughter when selling her car

Said they had organised their carrier to collect and would transfer funds including funds to pay the carrier when they collect the vehicle

We contacted the police and was advised to leave well alone

Theres a scam going on gumtree with cars through paypal - loads getting caught out

Many many many obvious scams...

I've had loads of emails asking for PayPal log in details, a few times I've won millions in African lotto's and several long lost family members have died.

As Marto said, could be genuine at this stage. What car is it? If a TVR, you Caterham or similar... High chance if genuine. If a £1,000 fiesta, little different.

As for the story about the year old range rover... Shocking!